UAS Handbook Section 4

(return to Handbook index)

Your Housing Contract


UAS Eligibility for Student Families and Single Students

  1. Families: Assignments are made to the full-time student or post-doctoral member of the family. Family consists of resident, spouse, domestic partner (with proof of minimum 1-year relationship and legally registered with the State of California), and children. In order to remain eligible for University Apartments, resident, spouse, and chil­dren if applicable, must reside in the apartment at all times.
  2. Students: To remain eligible for housing, all assigned students must be regularly enrolled full-time UCLA students as defined by the Registrar’s Office during all three quarters of the academic year. If you are a full-time registered student (12 units for an undergraduate, or 8 units for a graduate), it is necessary for you to establish your eligibility by providing substantiating documenta­tion, i.e., a Verification Transcript, which may be obtained from the Registrar’s office.

    If you are an academic Postdoctoral Scholar, you must provide proof from the Graduate Division that you are registered with them as a Postdoctoral Scholar showing the beginning and ending dates for your appointment. Appointment letters must be provided on an annual basis. Failure to provide your appointment letter may result in a loss of housing eligibility.

    If you are a resident physician, you must be enrolled in the UCLA School of Medicine house staff data base. If you are a resident dentist, you must be enrolled in the UCLA School of Dentistry house staff data base. Upon completion of your program, or if you discontinue your training, you must notify the rental office and provide a 30-day Notice of Intent to Vacate form. Staff research or assistant research positions are considered staff positions. If you are promoted to a staff research or assistant research position, you are eligible only if the need for student and post doc housing has been met.

    An approved Leave of Absence may be granted for one quarter/semester each academic year with prior Management approval. Residents may remain in their apartments during the summer without being registered for coursework provided their program will continue the following Fall Quarter.

    If you are a student and become a postdoctoral scholar, you are eligible and have the lowest priority for housing. In view of this, you must vacate your apartment in order to satisfy the housing needs of the graduate and professional student applicants, as well as those on UA wait lists. We are unable to provide housing for post docs while others who have priority eligibility have not had the opportunity to reside in University Apartments.
  3. Post Docs: Postdoctoral appointees have the lowest priority. Medical interns and residents, dental residents, and Post Docs (Postdoctoral Scholars, Post Graduate Researchers) are eligible to reside in University Apartments. Medical interns and residents and dental residents must be assigned to a UCLA-affiliated hospital. Medical interns and residents, dental residents, and Post Docs must be properly registered with the Medical Center or Graduate Division to reside in University Apartments. Any single resident with a postdoctoral title is eligible to reside in University Apartments for a maximum of two years only.

    In accordance with the policy guidelines established by the UCLA Housing Master Plan, Goal 4 stipulates the following: “The campus acknowledges the important contributions of postdoctoral scholars and the importance of housing as a resource to support postdoctoral scholars. After demand for housing among graduate and profes­sional students has been met, UCLA will offer housing to postdoctoral scholars for a period of two (2) years for single postdoctoral scholars and seven (7) years for postdoctoral scholars with dependent children.”

    Post Doctoral appointees are eligible for housing only after the needs of Graduate and Professional Students have been met. Annual renewal of the rental agreement is not guaratnteed and is subject tot the current demands of the housing waitlist for Graduate and Professional students. In view of the current demands for housing and associated family/mixed use waiting lists, post doctoral appointees residing in University Apartments for less than one year will be allowed to stay in housing during the current fiscal year but will not be eligible for housing as of June 30, the end of the fiscal year. If you are not eligible, you will need to provide the Rental Office with a Notice of Intent to Vacate (NITV). Any exception to this policy guideline requires that each case be studied and reviewed on its own.

    Upon completion of their appointments, post­doctoral scholars may transfer tenancy to their spouse only if the spouse is a UCLA undergradu­ate or graduate student. Tenancy may not be transferred from one postdoctoral scholar to another postdoctoral scholar.
  4. Single student apartments may be shared only by roommates of the same sex unless they satisfy the terms of 4a.
    4a. Single student apartments may be shared only by roommates of the opposite sex when the following criteria are met:
    *The apartment provides a private bedroom and bathroom for each occupant.
    *All occupants must be currently enrolled UCLA students.
    *Students “must mutually” request each other as apartment occupants.
    *Students must be 18 years of age or over.
  5. Visiting Graduate Researchers (VGRs), with appointments verified by the UCLA Graduate Division, are both eligible and welcome to reside in the University-owned graduate hous­ing, in both single graduate housing comprised of Weyburn Terrace and Hilgard, and in family graduate housing in University Village. In order to receive a housing offer, individuals must sub­mit a housing application at the My Housing web page by selecting the “Single Graduate Housing Application” or “Family Housing Application” link, contingent on specific housing needs.

    Please note the following limitations and conditions:
    *Eligibility as a VGR must be verified by the UCLA Graduate Division.
    *Housing offers are made based on space availability and, as a result, it is not always possible to extend a housing offer for an individual’s requested move in date.
    *In accordance with the mission of graduate housing, graduate students and postdoctoral scholars take priority over VGRs in the housing offer process. *Maximum length of stay in graduate housing for VGRs is two years.
    *VGRs who obtain a staff appointment, either in addition to or in replacement of their VGR appointment will end their eligibility to reside in graduate housing at that point.
  6. In cases where children are living part-time with one parent and part-time with the other parent, it is necessary that children live with the resident at least 50% of the time to maintain housing eligibility.
  7. Assignments may be transferable from a ter­minating registered student to his or her spouse, provided the spouse meets University Apartments eligibility criteria, with the approval of Management. Total length of stay, including the transfer of tenancy, is not to exceed seven (7) years from the original date of residency. This maximum length of stay provision, however, does not alter the fact that this Agreement creates a month-to-month tenancy.
  8. A change in status within the University from stu­dent status, medical resident or dental resident to Post Doctoral Scholar, faculty or staff status may terminate further residency eligibility. Any change in status must be reported to the Rental Office and continued eligibility approved by Management.
  9. Resident students remain eligible for up to 30 days after completion of their program or the date they file for their dissertation, whichever comes first, provided they do not exceed the maximum stay of seven years. Students must present veri­fication of their filing fee for dissertation to the rental office.
  10. The University reserves the right to make all apartment assignments and to transfer residents from one apartment to another during their tenancy upon sixty (60) days written notice.
  11. All transfer requests for University Apartments South must be made in writing and approved by Management. There is a waiting list for transfer to and within University Village.
  12. Length of stay. Single students, married couples without children, and domestic partners with­out children are eligible to reside in University Apartments South for a maximum of two years. Married students with children, domestic partners with children, and single parents with children are eligible to reside in University Apartments South through degree conferment as long as this term does not exceed seven years. All other eli­gibility criteria must be met to remain a resident of University Apartments South. The maximum length of stay in University housing for any stu­dent resident or student resident family is not to exceed seven (7) years. This maximum length of stay provision, however, does not alter the fact that this agreement creates a month-to-month tenancy. The seven-year maximum stay does not pertain to postdoctoral appointees. The maximum limit for postdoctoral appointees is two (2) years.
  13. Maximum capacities for units at University Apartments South is as follows:
    One-Bedroom/One-Bathroom - Two adults and one child
    Two-Bedroom/One-Bathroom -  Two adults and two children
    Two-Bedroom/Two-Bathroom -  Two adults and two children
    Three-Bedroom/Two-Bathroom -  Two adults and up to four children

Eligibility Verification

Student eligibility verification is conducted during the Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters at all locations. A graduation verification is conducted during the summer. In order to reside in University Apartments, you must be enrolled as a full-time student or medical intern or resident. Postdoctoral appointees are eligible but have a lower priority. Therefore, postdoctoral appoin­tees are not offered housing until all students have been offered and declined.

Visiting Graduate Researchers (VGRs), with appoint­ments verified by the UCLA Graduate Division, are both eligible and welcome to reside in the University-owned graduate housing, in both single graduate housing comprised of Weyburn Terrace and Hilgard, and in family graduate housing in University Village. In order to receive a housing offer, individuals must submit a housing application at the My Housing web page by selecting the “Single Graduate Housing Application” or “Family Housing Application” link, contingent on specific housing needs.

A letter will be sent to the resident if eligibility can­not be established. This letter requests verification of the resident’s UCLA status within a specific time frame. Please refer to the Rules and Regulations for a detailed list of eligibility criteria. If at any point dur­ing your stay at University Apartments you receive an eligibility letter, please respond promptly to avoid possible termination of the Rental Agreement. It is your responsibility to keep the Administration Office informed of any changes in your status and/or respond to any request regarding proof of status.

If at any point during your stay at University Apartments you receive an eligibility letter, please respond promptly to avoid possible termination of the Rental Agreement/Contract. It is your responsibility to keep the Administration Office informed of any changes in your status and/or respond to any request regarding proof of status.

Back to Top

Contract Renewal

Housing contracts renew each year of the resident’s eligible tenancy on July 1 via electronic opt in.

You may renew your rental agreement for a one (1) year term beginning July 1 and ending on July 1 of the following year. To be eligible, you must maintain an affiliation that qualifies you for University Apartments housing, provided that you have not exceeded the maximum length of residency for University Apartments (a cumulative total of seven (7) years). Resident’s failure to opt in by 60 days prior to the start of a new term shall be considered “notice” of resident’s intent to vacate on the termination date of the previous Agreement.

Step-by-step instructions on renewing your contract are available at

Back to Top

Payment of Rent

Please contact Housing Services through Ask Housing at for informa­tion regarding:

  • Payment of Rent
  • Payment Due Dates
  • Methods of Payment
  • Non-Payment of Housing Fees
  • Alternative Payment Arrangements
  • Refunds

Student Payment Options

Rental payments may be made in person with cash or check at the Housing Cashiers office. For hours, please visit The office address is:

Housing Cashiers
360 De Neve Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095

Online rental payment through BruinBill located on the MyUCLA website may be made using one of the following three options:

  • Electronic checks (e-checks) are an easy way to pay rent directly from a student’s checking or savings account. As banks have different format requirements, students should check with their bank for accurate routing and account numbers. Payment is made on the BruinBill My Accounts page and results in a direct payment from a bank account to UCLA for the amount specified. There is no fee for this payment method which is also known as Automated Clearing House (ACH).
  • Credit cards: The BruinBill accepts payment by American Express, Discover, Visa and MasterCard. Payment by credit card is subject to a 2.75% convenience fee.
  • Western Union (formerly Travelex) international payments are a new option for international payments. Processing through Western Union, a student logs into his or her BruinBill account and chooses the foreign cur­rency payment link. The process generates a letter that the student prints and takes to his or her bank within 72 hours. A pending payment shows on the student’s account but DOES NOT prevent courses from being dropped, release holds, or relieve the responsibility of making pay­ment on the account. If the student pays within 72 hours, the BruinBill account is updated and the pending payment is removed. Payments not made within 72 hours may not fully cover the amount owed.

Students may grant third parties access to BruinBill to view account status and submit payment through the MyUCLA website.

Students may sign up for auto payment of housing charges through BruinBill. Based on the date speci­fied by the student, the BruinBill will automatically obtain payment for the current balance from a stored credit card or eCheck. If the date chosen is before the installment is posted to the BruinBill, the student will have to submit payment manually.

Non-Student Payment Options

Rental payments may be made in person with cash or check at the Housing Cashiers office. See information on hours and location above.

Online rental payment may be made through the My Housing website at

  • residents with a UCLA logon and valid University ID may make a payment by selecting the “residents Make a Housing Payment” link.
  • residents who do not have a valid University ID (Professors, some Post Docs and/or Medical Residents) may make a payment by selecting the “Affiliates Make a Payment” link. Residents with a BruinCard where the University ID begins with 009 must use this option to make a payment.
  • residents who wish a third party to make a payment on their behalf may have the third party pay using the “Affiliates Make a Payment” link.

Online payment may be made using eChecks (see above) or certain credit cards. For non-student pay­ment, American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and VISA are accepted.

Miscellaneous Charges

Charges related to your stay in University hous­ing will also be posted to your housing account. Miscellaneous charges may include charges for damages, replacement costs, violation of the rules listed in this Handbook or on the housing Rental Agreement/Contract, and for additional services rendered. Miscellaneous charges should be reflected on your Housing account within three (3) business days. All miscellaneous charges are due upon receipt and should be paid immediately. Failure to pay may result in an academic record restriction.

Non-Payment of Housing Fees

Housing accounts with a balance after 4 p.m. on the 10th of a month are considered delinquent. If the 10th of the month falls on a weekend or holiday, the payment must be received by the previous business day. One or more of the following actions may be taken on delinquent accounts:

  • A $25 late fee is assessed
  • Service of a Three-Day Notice to Pay Rent and Perform Covenant or Quit

If you are served a Three-Day Notice, payment of the current delinquent balance must be made in person using guaranteed funds, such as cash, cashier's checks, or credit cards to stop further action. As stated in your Rental Agreement, an additional $50 in liquidated damage charges will be assessed to your account.

Alternative Payment Arrangements

Inthe event you are unable to make the payment in full by the due date, it may be possible for your to enter into an alternative payment arrangement (Payment Agreement) with the Housing Accounts Receivable Office. Payment Agreements must be completed in person at the Housing Accounts Receivable Office. If the Payment Agreement is voided, a $25 fee will be assessed in addition to all applicable late fees.

Charge Disputes

Questions regarding charges on your account should be directed to the originating department. For mis­cellaneous charges, please contact your University Apartments Resident Services Coordinator. If a resolu­tion cannot be reached with the Resident Services Coordinator, an appeal may be submitted to the University Apartments Area Manager. If such appeal is submitted, the resident is still responsible for paying that charge until the dispute is resolved.

Please contact the Housing Services Accounts Receivable Office if you have questions regarding other housing charges.

Students may request a hearing on the validity of the debt in advance of the academic hold/restriction being placed as outlined in UCLA procedure 210.1. To request a hearing, please contact Housing Services through AskHousing.

Other Legal Action

As a resident of University Apartments, you are also required to abide by the regulations and policies as contained in the University Apartments Resident Handbook, University Apartments Regulations and Policies, and Rental Agreement/Contract. If you fail to do so, the University may serve you with a Three-Day Notice to Perform Covenant or Quit. The notice will give you the oppor­tunity to either correct the applicable violations of the contract or move out within a three-day period.

The University also reserves the right to terminate the contract without cause by giving you 30-day advance written Termination of Tenancy notice in the event you have lived in the premises for less than one year or a 60-day advance written Termination of Tenancy notice in the event you have lived in the premises for one year or more.

Contact Information

Housing Services Offices (


  • Housing Accounts Receivable
  • Housing Assignments
  • Housing Cashiers
  • Community Housing Office (

Questions for any of the Housing Services offices may be asked and answered online at http:/ask.hous­ All Housing Services offices are located on the 1st floor of Sproul Hall. The address for all four offices is:

360 De Neve Drive
Los Angeles CA 90095-1383
MC: 138307

University Apartments Administration Offices

University Apartments North
11020 Weyburn Drive
Los Angeles CA 90024
MC: 144907
(310) 983-1300

University Apartments South
3200 Sawtelle Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90066
MC: 149707
(310) 398-4692

Back to Top

Rental Rate Increases

Housing is an auxiliary enterprise in the UC system and therefore totally self-supporting. Apartment rental rates are reviewed each year and rate increases typically occur in July. Every effort is made to keep rates as low as possible without compromising the integrity of the physical plant and every attempt is made to support and sustain the many services UCLA faculty, students and student families have come to enjoy at University Apartments.

Back to Top

Renter’s Insurance

University Apartments is part of the Los Angeles com­munity and, unfortunately, crime is a reality. While University Apartments benefits from UCPD patrols and continues to implement other security related processes, the fact remains that this is not a crime-free community.

Residents are strongly encouraged to support all security related policies and procedures and to purchase Renters Insurance for personal belongings through a major insurance agency as the University’s self-insurance program does not pro­vide coverage for resident’s personal property, liability for resident’s damage to the apartment, the building, or other residents’ property, or for resident’s vehicles. Resident’s belongings could be damaged in several ways: fire, water damage if a pipe broke or a bathtub overflowed. Personal property could also be stolen or destroyed if someone broke into the apartment. Resident’s negligent or intentional actions may also cause damage to the apartment, building, or other residents’ property. University Apartments is not always responsible to replace or repair resident’s personal belongings. If a resident, however, obtains a renter’s/resident’s insur­ance policy, the resident will have his/her own personal insurance carrier to turn to in the event of a loss.

University Apartment’s Management recommends that all residents obtain:

  1. A resident’s or renter’s insurance policy for coverage of his/her personal property and damage the resident may cause to others’ real or personal property.
  2. Auto insurance, which includes comprehensive coverage for his/her vehicles.

National Student Services Inc. is a low cost personal property insurance company that is a full service, low cost program designed specifi­cally to protect personal property. Please visit for more infor­mation.

Back to Top


Roommates and Partial Vacancies

Occasionally, roommates will leave during the school year. When this occurs, there is a space available for another student. The remaining roommate should schedule an inspection of the apartment for renova­tions prior to the new roommate moving in. Residents are informed of inspection in advance. 

If work is requested or required outside of the normal wear and tear, all the residents will be charged, with the exception of the annual complimentary carpet cleaning. Charges can be avoided if residents follow a regular cleaning routine and use the cleaning guide­lines provided in this Handbook.


Family Housing (University Village)

Subletting of your rental unit—full or partial, including the use of your address to gain admittance to the local school district—or park­ing space, for any amount of time is not permitted under any circumstances. Termination of the hous­ing Rental Agreement or Contract may be pursued if this rule is violated.

Single Graduate Housing

University Apartments will permit subleasing for single grad­uate students in Weyburn Terrace, Hilgard and Mixed-Use Buildings (Rose, Keystone/Mentone, and Venice/Barry) at no more than the current rent rate under the following provisions:

  1. Resident must have written approval from University Apartments and Housing Services to sublease. The Consent to Sublease form is provided by Housing Services.
  2. Resident will remain liable for obligations under his/her housing contract/rental agreement, including payment of monthly rent and miscellaneous charges/damages to unit. It is recommended that the Resident charge the Subleasee a securtiy deposit to cover any potential damages or fees assessed during Subleasee's stay. Security deposit may not exceed the current University Housing security deposit. Resident and Subleasee must follow all University policies and procedures.
  3. Financial arrangement to the sublease will be between the resident and the Subleasee. University Apartments assumes no responsibility for any disputes that arise between resident and Subleasee regarding rental payment or any other issue or obligation related to the sublease.
  4. Subleasee must be a student at least 21 years of age or older.
  5. The sublease period will count towards maximum term of housing allowance of the resident of Record.
  6. In a two-bedroom apartment, the remaining or assigned roommate, if any, must agree to the sublease.
  7. Subleases will only be approved once per academic year per resident. The maximum period that the resident can sublease is two quarters or one semester.
  8. Residents considering subleasing are strongly urged to collect a security deposit as well as the entire rental amount for the sublease period.
  9. Resident is responsible for forwarding pertinent housing email and communication to the Subleasee.
  10. Resident may not occupy the apartment during the sublease period.
  11. The resident must enter into a Consent to Sublease with the University and the Subleasee. The Consent to Sublease contracts the following provisions:
  • A copy of the Rental Agreement shall be attached to said Consent to Sublease, and shall be incorporated therein as if set out in full.
  • The Subleasee shall perform and be bound by all provision of the Rental Agreement between resident and the University.
  • The Subleasee shall not sublet the apartment to a third party.
  • Resident remains obligated to pay rent and shall make all rental payments to the University.
  • Said Consent to Sublease is subject to termination at any time on 30 days' written notice from any of the parties to the other.
  • Any waiver or modification of the conditions of said Consent to Sublease shall be in writing.
  • Residents who have entered into an approved Consent to Sublease agreement through Housing Services cannot charge more than the current rental rate for the apartment, unless it is for designated amounts to cover items such as furnishings and/or utilities.
Residents are prohibited from renting, advertising to rent or soliciting to rent any portion of their apartments, UCLA property or furnishings including parking spaces and garages, with or without the intention of profiting from University-owned property, on any websites, social media, or advertising mediums of any kind, including but not limited to Airbnb, Couchsurfing, Facebook, newspapers, VRBO, and word of mouth, etc.

Moving Out of Your Apartment

All residents moving out of University Apartments are responsible for understanding and completing the vacate procedures detailed below. If you have any questions, please call the Administration Office at (310) 398-4692. We want to help you understand your responsibilities before you leave.

30-Day Notice is Required in Writing

A 30-day Notice of Intent to Vacate (NITV) is required in advance of your move-out. The necessary form must be submitted on line at Once submitted, the Notice of Intent to Vacate may not be cancelled or revised.

Your Account is to be Paid in Full Prior to Your Departure

All outstanding balances need to be paid prior to checkout. The Housing Accounts Receivable Office is located at 360 De Neve Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1383. The office is open Monday - Friday, 9:00 -11:30 a.m. and 12:30 - 4:00 p.m. Telephone: (310) 206-7011. E-mail through:

Return All Keys

All keys and keycards (building, apartment, mailbox) and your parking hangtag(s) are to be returned to the Administration Office on your move-out date. It is the responsibility of the resident leaving on a weekend to make arrangements with the Administration Office prior to your move-out date for the return of the keys.

If your keycard is not returned, you will be assessed $35 to reprogram all associated locks. If your mailbox keys are not returned, you will be assessed $45 for a mailbox lock replacement. The mailbox will be re-keyed if any keys are missing on move-out date. You will also be assessed $50 for any parking hangtag not returned, and $75 for each garage door opener or gate access card not returned.

  • Keys or keycards are not to be given to neigh­bors, friends, roommates or to the new resident.
  • Do not give keys and/or keycards, or parking hangtags and openers to roommates or leave keys in the apartment. Vacating residents who have others turn in keys or leave their keys in the Administration Office mailbox do so at their own risk.
  • Charges will be assessed on the apartment until keys or keycards are returned or a lock change is performed. 
  • Bicycles and mopeds may not be stored on the property. All bicycles and mopeds that are left will be removed and impounded following check­out. The owner will be responsible for cost of this service and for storage.

 If you plan to leave your keys or key cards in the night drop slot, please advise the Resident Services Coordinator so that he/she will retrieve your keys the next business day. The night drop slot is located at the 3200 Sawtelle office. When you face this building, it is located on the left main door. To ensure that your keys are prop­erly identified by the Resident Services Coordinator, please place all keys, garage opener, parking permit, etc. with your forwarding address in a sealed enve­lope. Then just lift the flap and drop the sealed enve­lope with your keys into the slot. It will drop directly into the Administration Office.


UA Facilities Management will conduct a preliminary inspection of your apartment. During the preliminary inspection, Facilities staff will discuss with you any deficiencies that may need repair or cleaning and possible mitigation measures. The purpose of this inspection is to allow you to make these changes to your unit to avoid additional charges. Please call UA Facilities Maintenance at (310) 391-0686 to arrange this inspection as soon as possible after submitting your Notice of Intent to Vacate.

Apartment Cleaning Required

Vacating residents are required to return the apart­ment to its original condition, reasonable wear and use excepted. Damages and cleaning charges will be assessed based on failure to do the following:

  • Remove all trash from the apartment, garage/ carport, patio, balcony, and storage cabinets. Charges will be assessed if not completed by resident.
  • Remove all personal belongings. Charges will be assessed for disposal and/or storage of any item.
  • Clean floors, cupboards, counter tops and walls. Grease and dirt must be removed from all surfaces. Charges will be assessed for the extra cleaning if you neglect to do so.
  • Clean your stove, refrigerator, and microwave. Remember to clean underneath and behind the refrigerator. There will be a $25 charge assessed for each appliance that requires additional cleaning.
  • Remove all contact paper from drawers, cabinets and walls. Charges will be assessed if resident neglects to do so.
  • Remove all wallpaper, paneling, mirror tiles, murals, decals, stick hangers, etc. Charges will be assessed for removal by staff.
  • Fill all nail holes in the walls with spackle. Charges will be assessed if filled by staff.
  • Clean bathroom floor, bathtub/shower, basins, toilets, mirrors and medicine cabinets. Charges will be assessed for extra cleaning.
  • Replace all blinds, light fixtures, etc., removed by resident when moving in. Charges will be assessed for any missing items and also if the items are not re-hung.
  • Vacuum carpet. Resident will be charged for any soil or spots that remain and result in the need for commercial treatment or carpet replacement. If the unit is occupied less than one year, the resident will be charged for a carpet steam clean.
  • If applicable, return the beds to a bunked posi­tion. If you do not replace the bed, you may be subject to charges.

Notify Utility Companies One Week Prior to Move-Out

You are responsible for your cable TV and Internet equipment when you vacate. If you do not return your modem cable to Time Warner, Time Warner will charge you $500. 

If you have any questions, call your utility company for clarification.

Time Warner Cable
(Cable TV, Telephone, and Internet)
6695 Green Valley Circle
Culver City, CA 90230-7024
(866) 886-7282

Department of Water and Power (DWP)
(800) 342-5397

The Gas Company
(800) 427-2200

Verizon (Telephone)
(800) 483-4000

AT&T (Keystone/Mentone and Clarington)
(800) 310-2355 

File a Change of Address

Notify the U.S. Postal Service, the Administration Office, and all charge accounts two weeks prior to moving out. The Administration Office will not be able to hold mail for you. Also, it is not possible for us to allow you to have any further access to the mailbox once you are no longer a resident at that address. Therefore, please be sure to file a change of address well in advance of your move-out. When you file a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service, it is effective for a six-month period. You can also change your address at


Move-Out Date - Return Keys to Avoid Penalties

Keys or key cards are to be returned according to the move-out date you indicated on your Notice of Intent to Vacate. The Notice of Intent to Vacate is a legally binding document. Your move out date is used to determine the move-in date for the next resident. It is your responsibility to return your keys on the date stated.

If we do not receive your keys on your move out date, charges will be assessed for pro-rated rent, hold­over rent, and any additional cost that University Apartments incurs to have the apartment ready for the next resident to move in on their contract date. If there are any items remaining in the apartment after your move-out date, they will be removed and stored at your expense according to University policy. The Administration Office is located at 3200 Sawtelle Boulevard.

Assessment Charges


When an apartment is fully painted, the life of the paint should last three years. Therefore, in the event you reside in the apartment for less than three years; you will be assessed charges less depreciation for the repainting of the apartment. For example, if it costs $720 to paint a two-bedroom apartment and you resided in the apartment for two years, the painting calculations would be as follows:

  1. Cost of Painting = $720
  2. Life of the Paint = 3 years or $720/36 months = $20 per month
  3. Depreciation = Residents Residency or 24 months x $20 = $480
  4. Balance or line 1 minus line 3 = Amount owed by Resident = $240

A coat of primer is considered an additional full coat of paint with no depreciation.

In the event you reside in the apartment for three years or more, you will not be assessed any painting charges unless there are exceptional marks on the walls such as a marker-type drawing which requires special primer to cover these marks. Exceptional marks on the walls will incur additional costs for repainting. You will be charged to prime and repaint if your apartment is a different color than when you moved in.


When an apartment has its carpet replaced, the life of the replaced carpet should last seven years. Therefore, in the event you reside in the apartment for less than seven years you will be assessed charges less depreciation for the replacement of the carpet. For example, if it costs $1,800 to replace carpet in a two-bedroom apartment and you resided in the apart­ment for four years, the replacement calculations would be as follows:

  1. Cost of Replacement = $1800
  2. Life of the Carpet = 7 years or $1800/84 months = $21.4285 per month
  3. Depreciation = Residents Residency or 48 months x $21.4285 = $1028.57
  4. Balance or line 1 minus line 3 = Amount owed by Resident = $771.43

In the event you reside in the apartment for one year or more, you will not be assessed any shampooing charges unless there are exceptional marks or spots on the carpet such as bleach stains, oil stains, or burn marks which require special dye to cover these marks or even carpet replacement. Exceptional marks or spots on the carpet will incur additional costs for dying or carpet replacement.

Hard Surface Flooring

When an apartment has faux wood flooring, the life of the flooring is 10 years. If faux wood flooring, vinyl, or any other hard surface flooring needs to be replaced due to fault of resident, the following are the costs that will be charged to the resident:

  • Studio = $1230
  • Studio/Loft = $1351
  • One bedroom/one bath = $1321
  • Two bedroom/one bath = $1587
  • Two bedroom/two bath = $1663
  • Three bedroom/two bath = $1969
  • Repairs to hard surface flooring will be billed at $37/hour

Additional Charges

Other charges may be incurred such as removal of excess trash, lost parking permit/opener, lost keys, etc. See Damage and Miscellaneous Charges section.

Damages and Miscellaneous Charges

UA Facilities Management determines the extent of damages and whether the damages are the result of resident negligence. All charges to renovate the apart­ment once the resident(s) move out are indicated on the damage and cleaning form.

Many damage charges are based on vendor costs. The amount of the charge is based on material and labor costs (see the following list of charges). If you have occupied your apartment for more than one year, you will not be charged for normal carpet clean­ing. Any additional cleaning or carpet replacement constitutes excessive damage and charges will be assessed. UA Facilities Management determines the extent of damages and whether the damages are the result of resident negligence.

If you have occupied your apartment for three or more years, you may not be charged for painting that does not include any excessive damage (e.g., crayon marks, large holes, etc.). Any occupancy less than three years or any excessive marks or damage on the walls will result in charges for apartment painting. The resident will be responsible and charged accordingly for excessive marks on walls resulting in multiple coats of paint.

Carpet should last seven years. If the carpet needs to be replaced prior to seven years, the resident will be prorated its replacement costs accordingly (see example similar to painting charges).

Residents are responsible for any damages that are not recorded on the Apartment Inventory Form at time of move out. (See the following list of damage and other related charges.)

Damage, Cleaning, and Other Related Charges 
Bed frame replacementTwin - $144  Full - $256
Bicycle improperly stored$25
Blind, damageVendor Cost + $52/hr
Building, damageVendor Cost
Cabinets, strip and re-paint$52/hr + materials
Cable equipment$50
Cable/TV modem$500
Carpet Cleaning:$.85/Sq Ft + Minimum Trip Charge $250
Carpet, damage/replacement
Studio & Loft
Carpet Repairs 
avg $40/sq yard
Check-out violation$75 + daily rate
Contract Cancellation Fee$300-$400
Cleaning Apartment
Studio w/Loft
Two-bedroom/Two-bath w/Loft
Three-bedroom/Two-bath w/Loft
Furnished apartments

Cleaning appliances$25/each
Cleaning toilet, tub, or sinks$25/each
Clogged drain$52/hr or
Vendor Cost
Converter box (Hilgard only)$100
Daily rate for:
Extended stay
Improper late check-outs
Approved early check-ins

$75 + daily rate of $48/day
Door replacement$150 (or cost of door and parts) + $52/hr
Door repair$52/hr + materials
Equipment (damage to borrowed items)Cost of replacement
Failure to remove personal property
Storage of personal property 
$40 or $20/hr/employee
Furniture/Appliance removal$25/item
Furniture replacement charges
(all furnished units except Weyburn Terrace)
Bed guard
Coffee table
Desk chair
Desk lamp
Dining chair
Dining table
End table
File Cabinet
Floor Lamp
Living room lamp
Sofa chair
Table Lamp

Furniture replacement charges
(Weyburn Terrace only)
Coffee table
Desk chair
Dining chairs
Dining table
End Table
File cabinet
Nesting Table
Sliding closet door
Sofa Chair
TV Stand
Underbed drawer

Garage door opener (lost or damaged)$75/each
Gate access card/laundry card$75/each
Hallways, damage toVendor Cost
Holes, patching$52/hr + material
Illegal possession of public area furnishings$30
Illegal use or storage of UA-provided furniture$30
Keys and locks
Key/lock change, door
Key/lock change, mailbox
Keys dropped between elevator doors M-F
Keys dropped between elevator doors after hours
Perimeter key
Keycard replacement/damage (negligence)
Keycard reprogramming

$45-$120 + $52/hr
$45 + $52/hr
$524 (4-hour minimum)
$25 each
$35 each
Light globe replacement$15/each + $52/hr
Cover, single
Cover, full
Cover, queen
Cover, installation

Additional coats of paint

$52/hr + materials
Paneling removal$52/hr per person
Parking hangtag (excluding Weyburn Terrace)$50/each
Removal (Failure to Remove) of personal property
Storage of personal property 
$20/hr per person
Screen, repair or replacement$15 to 45/each + $52/hr
Shuttle boarding pass (unexpired)$100
Sprinkler activation (negligence)Vendor Cost + any
associated costs to apts.
Tampering with fire safety equipment
(misdemeanor subject to legal action)
Vendor Cost + any
Associate costs to apts.
Television replacement$400
Tile flooringVendor Cost
Trash removal$20/hr or Vendor Cost
Unauthorized room change$20
Vinyl Floors, repair or replacement
1 bedroom/1 bathroom
2 bedrooms/1 bathrooms
2 bedrooms/2 bathrooms
3 bedrooms/2 bathrooms
Avg. $59/sq. ft.
Wallpaper/Contact removal$52/hr per person
Windows, brokenVendor Cost

NOTE: any repair work not specified above is charged $52/hour. Replacements are subject to labor plus additional material/installation costs.

Back to Top