UAS Handbook Section 3

(return to Handbook index)

Your Apartment

The following is basic information to help make moving into your apartment easier and to familiarize you with some important aspects of your new home.

Alteration to Premises

Residents are responsible for all damages and modifications found in their apartments upon termination, regardless of when they occurred, unless these specific damages are reported in writing to the Management within three business days of that resident’s taking possession. This includes the quality and condition of furniture and appliances. Modifications include:

  1. Attachments affixed to any part of the build­ing or furniture.
  2. Nails, screws or fixtures mounted on any part of the building or furniture.
  3. Holes caused by any of the above.
  4. Painting, papering or paneling of any part of the property or contents.
  5. Modification, replacement or absence of clos­ets, cabinets, furniture, appliances, fixtures, or any other part originally supplied.

In addition, University Apartments has the following specific regulations regarding alterations.

  1. Adding or changing locks without prior written permission of management is prohibited.
  2. Painting University property is prohibited. Any walls painted a different color than what the resident received at move in will be charged to the resident for the University to return the unit back to its original condition. This includes all charges should the University need to apply multiple coats of paint and primer paint.
  3. Due to possible damage to carpeting, cinder blocks, concrete blocks and bricks may not be used in the apartments for any purpose.
  4. No major appliances such as a refrigerator, range, washing machine, clothes dryer, dishwasher, air conditioning equipment, deep freeze units or other large appliances may be installed or brought into any apartment.
  5. No fixtures such as attached wall-to-wall carpet­ing, linoleum, wall paneling, wallpaper, shelves, or shelf paper are to be installed. Any dam­ages and labor costs related to removal will be charged to the resident.
  6. Installation of basketball hoops over garages is strictly prohibited.
  7. Waterbeds are prohibited.
  8. Do not place any aluminum foil or flammable material on your range, burners, or the immediate kitchen area.
  9. Keep the kitchen area clean to prevent grease from building up.
  10. Do not remove or modify any part of the range or air vent filters.
  11. Do not place any aluminum foil or tinted film on window glass.
  12. Do not remove or modify any plumbing or fixtures.

Back to Top


Pets or visiting animals are not allowed in graduate or undergraduate housing at any time. Dogs and cats are expressly prohibited. Exception is made for authorized service/assisting animals for the resident of record only or the resident’s resident dependent. For the purpose of this policy, the term “service animal” refers to “service animals” and “assisting animals” as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Fair Housing Act respectively. Service animals must offer relief for, or alleviate the effects of, a documented disability that the resident cannot provide for him/herself. All service animals must be recommended by the UCLA Center for Accessible Education (CAE) prior to move in and annually thereafter.

Procedure for Submitting Documentation for a Service Animal

  • At least four weeks prior to the date the service animal is expected to be in residence, a request for an Exception to the Pet Policy (Request) must be submitted to the Center for Accessible Education (CAE), 406 Charles E. Young Drive, Los Angeles, California 90095-1426, with a copy to the appropriate University Apartments Administration Office.
  • CAE will consider an exception to the Pet Policy and directly inform the applicant, the Housing Assignments Office, and University Apartments of the decision.
  • The animal may not be in residence unless or until the request is approved.
  • Approval for one pet/animal is not transferable to a replacement pet/animal.

The approved service/assisting animal guardian must abide by the following general rules:

  1. The service animal is required to be on a controlled, durable leash no longer than six feet in length when walked in any public area
  2. The service animal is to be walked outside the community complex.
  3. The service animal guardian is required to clean up any mess, including defecation, caused by the animal. Waste must be wrapped up and disposed of in a sanitary manner.
  4. The service animal must have proof of all vaccinations and carry a valid license with the city.
  5. The service animal must be secured during the performance of a maintenance repair by Facilities Management.
  6. The service animal must not disturb the quiet enjoyment of the community.
  7. The service animal guardian is responsible and shall be held accountable for the actions or damages of his or her service animal.

Back to Top

Apartment Inventory and Damage Report

It is very important that you inspect your apartment for any damage or problems as soon as you move in.

The Move-In Packet contains an “Apartment Inventory and Damage Report” that must be com­pleted and returned to the UAS Administration office at 3200 Sawtelle Boulevard. It is important that you complete and return this report within three business days of your check in to the Administration Office during business hours so it can be signed by University Apartments staff. This report serves as the basis of a work order request to UA Facilities Management to make necessary repairs. If you have an urgent maintenance request, please contact UAS Facilities Management at (310) 391-0686.

The report creates a record of any problems already existing when you moved in so you will not be held responsible or charged for their repair when you move out. When the apartment is vacated, any damages or unauthorized modifications that have been made from the standard apartment configuration will be considered to have been done by you, the terminating resident, and you will be charged on that basis.

Please be aware that some buildings contain imper­fections inherent in older structures; therefore, repairs that are requested should not deal with any aging-related issues. All other problems existing when you move in should be noted so that you will not be held responsible when you move out. Contact UA Facilities Management for any repairs (see “Routine Maintenance Services” in this Handbook).

Back to Top

Apartment Usage

  1. No person is permitted to occupy or use the premises unless authorized by Rental Agreement/Contract or with prior written permission from Management.
  2. The resident shall use the apartment as a residence only.
  3. No business of any kind may be established with­in any complex or on any University-owned property; this includes University residen­tial apartments, furnishings, garages, carports, and common areas.
  4. Residents are prohibited from renting, advertising to rent or soliciting to rent any portion of their apartment, UCLA property or furnishings including parking spaces and garages, with or without the intention of profiting from University-owned property, on any website, social media, or advertising mediums of any kind, including but not limited to AirBnB, Couchsurfing, Facebook, newspapers, VRBO, and word of mouth, etc.

Back to Top


Personal Balconies

Residents shall maintain the premises, including the balconies/patios, hallways and stairwells in a clean, sanitary and non-hazardous condition. No storage of any personal belongings will be allowed outside the apartment.

  1. Private balconies and patios may contain up to two lawn chairs, and one small table.
  2. Only buildings that do not provide bicycle racks allow bicycle storage on the balcony or patio. No other personal belongings or storage of any kind is permitted on private patios/balconies.
  3. Nothing is to be affixed in any manner to the patio/balcony. This incudes but is not limited to privacy screens, shades, curtains, decking and carpets. Clotheslines, flowerpots and shelves are not to be installed and/or attached to patios/balconies. Nothing is to be hung from the patio/balcony ceil­ings or extend beyond the railings including holi­day lights. In general, residents may not hang any item from balconies, sprinkler heads, windows, roofs or railings.
  4. Flowerpots and planters must have a base plate or water catching device to ensure there is not water damage to the balcony/patio.

Back to Top

Cable Television and Internet Access

All UAS apartment buildings are “cable and Internet ready” buildings and the University provides basic cable television service through Time Warner Cable. You must, however, call to have service connected.

Included in the standard cable service are broadcast and basic programming tiers; one (1) converter box that is either standard definition, high definition, or high definition with DVR; and one remote (choosing the HD-DVR option includes a separate monthly fee billed directly to the resident for the DVR service).The basic Internet service includes one modem.

You may order any additional services that Time Warner provides at your own expense. You are financially responsible for any cable TV equipment in your apartment. Time Warner will bill you for any unreturned equipment. To order the service, call (866) 886-7282. For wireless connection and other current system requirements, see

The University is not responsible for any equip­ment rented to the resident by Time Warner Cable. By signing your rental agreement or contract, you are agreeing to the Time Warner “acceptable use policy” for their Internet service. Return all equipment to Time Warner. Do not leave equipment in your apart­ment. Residents may be charged up to $500 for equipment not returned.

Back to Top

Care and Cleaning of Your Apartment

You are expected to maintain the unit in a clean and sanitary condition at all times, and to keep the premises well ventilated, particularly when showering, bathing, washing dishes, or hand washing clothes. When you move out, the unit will be inspected and any charges for damages or excessive dirt will be assessed to you. The following cleaning recommendations will help you maintain your apartment and avoid these charges when you move out.

The Kitchen


Every kitchen at University Apartments is painted with a water-based semi-gloss latex paint. The walls can be easily cleaned with any non-abrasive cleanser, any liquid soap, or even deter­gent. Abrasive cleansers have a tendency to remove the paint from the wall as well as clean it. If you cook a lot of fried foods (including stir-fry), this is especially important and can save you renovation costs upon moving out as well as prevent pests and rodents from breeding in the apartment.


All of the appliances in the unit (stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave) have finishes that can be easily scratched. These appliances should be cleaned with the proper materials. Steel wool and scrapers will damage the finish. Do not use scouring pads. A regular sponge is good for cleaning all of the appliances. The stove can be cleaned with one of the various types of oven cleaners that are available at most markets. Do not line your stove top with aluminum foil. Refrain from using any materials not designed to be used on a stove or oven as it will cause damage to the appliances. When cleaning the refrigerator or dishwasher use a liquid, non-abrasive cleanser.

Pay special attention to care of the following:


Use only designated dishwasher soap in the dishwasher. Do not use liquid dish soap or detergent which will fill the unit with suds and cause an overflow. Food particles need to be rinsed off prior to loading the dishwasher. Rinse with water only. Dishwashers cannot handle food particles that will not dissolve in hot water. The drain will clog and the unit could overflow. Clogged dishwasher drains are generally consid­ered to be resident negligence and charges may be assessed.

Garbage Disposal

Most apartments are equipped with a garbage dis­posal. These units cannot grind material such as bottle caps, wire ties, popped corn, coffee grounds, potatoes, egg shells, or fibrous vegetables (e.g., artichokes, celery, onion skins, carrot tops). Do not put grease in the disposal. Do not put cooked or uncooked rice or pasta in the garbage disposal as the starch builds up in the drains and clogs them. Always use lots of cold water when running the garbage disposal to clear the drains.

Do not use drain opener chemicals in the garbage disposal, sink or drain. These chemicals are dangerous to persons working on the lines and will ruin garbage dispos­als and drain opening equipment. If you have used a chemical in the pipe, please notify UA Facilities Management when you place your work order so the responding mechanic takes additional precautions.

There is a reset button on the motor that should be reset after a jam has been cleared.


While Formica counters are easily cleaned with any type of liquid soap, cleaning a tile counter can be a little more difficult. When cleaning a tile counter use any type of non-abrasive cleanser. Although the finish on ceramic tiles is baked on, intense scrubbing with a harsh cleanser will dull the finish.


Most kitchen and bathrooms have linoleum or vinyl flooring. A mild detergent or one-step wash and wax product will maintain the finish on the floor without damaging it. The newer vinyl floors are the no-wax type, but the older floors have to be waxed regularly in order to maintain the shine. Any liquid wax that is specifically for vinyl floors is acceptable. Hardwood and laminate floors should be dry-mopped only with a microfiber mop or a dry dust mop. No water or solvent of any kind is to be used on hardwood or laminate floors.



Same as for kitchen wall instructions on the previous page.


Maintaining the shower tiling in the apartment is not difficult. Because of the amount of moisture that is present in the air in a shower, mold and mildew are the major problems. Cleaning on a regular basis is the only way to control mold and mildew. A simple solution of bleach and water will control mold and mildew while a mild non-abrasive cleanser will maintain the cleanliness of the tile and the tub. Contact UA Facilities Maintenance if you have problems with water accumulation or rust stains.

All bathing and washing must be done inside the bathtub. Shower curtains must be tucked inside the tub and shower doors must be kept closed during use to prevent water accumulation on the bathroom floor. Excessive water on the bathroom floor will result in severe damage to the tiles and sub-floor. Residents may be charged for this type of floor damage.


A toilet bowl brush and cleaner will keep the toilet clean. Put a cup of white vinegar in the bowl and let stand overnight to remove calcium deposits. Always use commercial products according to the label instructions. Do not put any drain opener chemicals into any drain.

Costs for unclogging toilets that overflow due to improper materials being flushed into the lines will be charged to the resident. This includes paper towels, baby wipes, or facial tissues, any type of feminine sanitary product, toys, utensils, disposable diapers, etc. The only approved paper product to be flushed down a toilet is toilet paper. Other wipes are made from stronger fibers that do not breakdown in the sewer system and will cause clogging.

Living Room, Bedroom, and Dining Room


The walls in some buildings are painted with a semi-gloss latex paint that can be treated the same as the kitchen walls. Those units that are painted with a flat latex paint cannot be cleaned as easily. Surfaces covered with flat paint can be cleaned, but vigorous scrubbing will remove the paint as well as the stain. When cleaning flat-paint walls, use nothing more abrasive than a rag or a sponge and a mild liquid detergent. Some stains or marks, such as those caused by a chair rubbing against the wall, will not come off, and it is usually best to leave them alone.


Carpeting in individual apartments is the responsibility of the resident and it should be vacuumed regularly. Charges are assessed for carpeting that is heavily soiled or badly stained.

A stiff brush and a small amount of diluted carpet cleaner will remove most stains. Do not use bleach or any product that contains bleach. If the carpet in the unit is permanently stained during your tenancy, a charge will be assessed which will be applied to the eventual replacement of the carpet. Such repairs or replacement will not necessarily be made immediately. If the carpet is stained, you may contact UA Facilities Maintenance and request help in removing the stain; however, there will be a charge. We recommend you vacuum your carpet regularly and have a complimen­tary cleaning through UA Facilities Management once a year to maintain it properly.

Faux Wood Flooring

Many of the apartments at University Apartments are outfitted with faux wood flooring. To clean, set the vacuum on the setting for wood floors and run the vacuum over the floor.

OR use a microfiber mop (without water) to remove big clumps of hair and dust. Scrape the debris off and rinse the mop before using the same microfiber pad for wet mopping.

OR dry dustmop with a swiffer-type sweeper.

Tip - It is best to sweep or vacuum in the direction the floor is laid to collect the dirt between the grooves instead of trapping it. A string or sponge mop is NOT recommended as they tend to use more water than recommended for cleaning. String mops can get caught in the grooves and damage the flooring.


Most of the apartments at University Apartments come equipped with vertical blinds. Blinds may be cleaned with a soft cloth using mild soap and water. Additional window coverings such as drapes or curtains of any kind are not permit­ted in the apartments. Please contact UA Facilities Management if you have questions, any difficulty operating the blinds, or insufficient coverage.

Back to Top

Child Care at University Village

The University Village Child Care Complex houses two programs that provide care and education for nearly 200 young children in a state-of-the-art facil­ity. Both programs are accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children. Residents of University Apartments South receive pri­ority for admission, but each childcare center main­tains its own waiting list. Childcare enrollment is limited. It is highly recommended that parents contact these programs prior to making plans to come to UCLA.

University Parents Nursery School (UPNS)

This program is a parent participation school that cares for preschool age children of UCLA students, faculty, and staff. Founded in 1966, the school is run cooperatively by its member families who assist the teachers in the classroom, participate in workshops, and attend bi-monthly meetings. Flexible sched­ules are available. Waiting list applications can be obtained from their website: or by call­ing: (310) 397-2735.

UCLA Early Care and Education

This program offers full-day care to infants, toddlers, preschool age children and also operates a full-day kindergarten. The program can accommodate 114 children. Limited subsidized care is available for income-eligible student families at the center or in local family child care homes. Further information is available at their website: or by phone at (310) 825-5086

Back to Top

Community Center (Sawtelle Site) and Resource Center (Sepulveda Site)

The Community Center and Resource Center are located in University Village. The Community Center-Sawtelle is available to residents of UAS for meetings, social events, and educational and recre­ational offerings. The Resource Center-Sepulveda is smaller than the Community Center. Its use is restricted to University Apartments South Residents Association (UASRA)-sponsored small group meet­ings and educational programming. Both venues are open to UAS residents on a pre-scheduled basis by contacting the UASRA Community Center Coordinator. The Web address for UASRA and the schedule is

Back to Top


  1. Mats must be kept in clean condition and good repair with no stains, curled edges, or corners.
  2. The thickness of the doormat may not exceed 1/2 inch in order to minimize the risk of a tripping hazard.
  3. No inflammatory words, pictures, or sym­bols are permitted on the doormat.
  4. The resident may be asked to remove or replace a mat if it is determined to be unacceptable in condition or inappropriate in design.

Back to Top

Energy Conservation

Here are some energy-saving tips from The Gas Company to help you reduce the amount of gas used for apartment heating, laundry, hot water, and cook­ing.

Air Conditioning, Heating, and Electricity

  • Turn the thermostat off if you’re going to be away for more than one day. Never turn the thermostat way up or way down to speed up the heating or cooling process.
  • During cold weather, close all openings to cooling units (wall and window air conditioners) to keep the heat in.
  • Turn off lights and any electrical equipment when they are not being used.
  • Keep the refrigerator and freezer filled for most economical operation.
  • Allow foods to cool partially before placing in the refrigerator; it takes more energy to cool hot food.


  • Wash similar items together.
  • Wash and rinse in cold or warm water instead of hot whenever possible.
  • Follow detergent directions for the particular washer and avoid over-sudsing.
  • Clean the lint filter before drying each load.
  • Dry full loads of clothes rather than half-loads. Don’t over-dry.
  • Remove clothes from dryer as soon as tumbling stops. If they become wrinkled, extra energy must be used to iron or dry them again.


We live in a coastal desert and water is a precious commodity that we need to conserve.

  • Take shorter showers.
  • Wash dishes in cold water and let them air dry.
  • Fix leaky faucets or shower heads by calling UA Facilities Management.
  • Washing your car is prohibited within University Apartments properties.


  • Don’t preheat the gas oven unless the recipe specifically requires it.
  • Don’t open the oven door while food is cooking. Cover pots when cooking.
  • Adjust the top burner flame to fit the pan size, then simmer after cooking starts; be sure to cover pots and pans with tight-fitting covers.
  • Cook by time-and-temperature guides.
  • Be sure all burners are off when not in use.
  • Never use the gas range for room heating - it’s unsafe.
  • Use a microwave or a toaster oven instead of a conventional oven, whenever possible.
  • Prepare an entire meal using just the broiler, the oven, or just one top burner. An oven retains heat for 15 to 30 minutes after it is turned off; use this free heat to warm up rolls, desserts, and cookies.

Back to Top

Fireplace Use

Some apartments have gas fireplaces. Do not place wood, paper or other flam­mable material in any gas fireplace. The smoke or fumes from these foreign objects will fill the apartment and cause a fire hazard.

There must be a four-foot clear space in front of the fireplace when it is in use. Fireplaces must not be left on while unattended.

Back to Top


Some apartments are furnished with University-owned furniture (listed on the Rental Agreement Inventory). Residents may not supply their own furniture either as an alternative or in addition to the furniture provided. The exceptions are lim­ited to lawn furniture on the balconies/ patios. University Apartments will not remove and/or store furniture assigned to a unit. Residents who feel there is too much furniture in their apartment may store it privately at their own expense, as long as the furniture is returned prior to move-out in the same condition as when received.

The installation and use of a personal washing machine, clothes dryer, or water purification machine inside the apartment for any reason whatsoever is strictly prohibited. Residents will be financially responsible for damages caused by the use of these machines including damage to the apartment, building or personal belongings of other residents affected.

Back to Top

Guests and Guest Keys

Policy for All UA Complexes except University Village (see UAS Family Guest Policy)

Residents may have guests as long as they respect the rights of others. Guests may not stay longer than seven (7) days in a given month without prior written approval from the UAS Area Manager. Visits longer than seven days constitute a permanent living arrangement and are not allowed; therefore any more than seven days requires management approval. In units with more than one resident, the resident may have an overnight guests only with approval from all room/apartment mates, and for a maximum of seven (7) days per month. Please be sure to note the length of your guest’s stay in the written notification submitted to the Administration Office.

Contractual issues do not allow the Administration Office to issue keys to guests of apart­ments with more than one resident.

Residents are responsible for their guest’s compliance with all University rules and regulations. Residents are financially responsible for the actions of their guests, and for the unreason­able disturbance of other residents. Parties are to be limited to individually invited guests, and must not exceed limits established by the Fire Code.

University Apartments South Family Guest Policy

This policy serves as a guideline for University Village (UV) residents who have family residing with them for stays in excess of the current seven (7) day guest policy but not to exceed a cumulative total of one (1) year. The guest policy applies to immediate adult family members only (i.e., siblings or parents) of University Village residents of record and spouse:

  1. International guests of UV residents will provide documentation of their intended length of stay to the UA Rental Office. This documentation must be in the form of a current Visa or roundtrip or one-way airline ticket from Los Angeles to their destination of origin
  2. Domestic guests of UV residents should provide an airline ticket.
  3. This guest policy applies to residents with guests currently residing in UV as well as future guests of UV residents
  4. The proposed increase in monthly rate for the additional guest(s) will be $50 per household per month for no more than two adult guests for a total of up to one year of total status as a guest resident:
    a. The first month of residency will be “free” of charge.
    b. After the first month, any and all subsequent months will be charged at the rate of $50 per household for no more than two adult guests per month up to a total of one year. If a guest leaves and a new guest arrives immediately after, no grace period will apply.
    c. The guest resident’s(s’) increased monthly rate will be subject to change at the discretion of University Apartments with notice to the residents.
    d. Increases to the guest resident monthly rate will apply to a minimum of 1-2 guests over the number of residents currently residing in the apartment as Residents of Record.
    e. University Apartments reserves the right to adjust the increased monthly rate if the number of guests exceeds the minimum number identified above and/or request guest(s) to vacate apartment to avoid further action.
  5. Guest(s) will be issued a keycard allowing them entry to the apartment of the Resident(s) of Record and to perimeter gates of the UV complex.
  6. Each guest should be prepared to show his/her ID upon request if a University Apartments staff member requests it. 
  7. Under the terms of University Apartments subletting policy, subletting of your rental unit or parking space is not permitted under any circumstances. Termination of the hous­ing Rental Agreement or Contract may be pursued if this rule is violated. University Apartments reserves the right to enforce the terms of the Subletting Policy.
  8. All guest residents must abide by the University Apartments South Resident Handbook and UCLA University Apartments Regulations and Policies. Should a guest resident violate any rules and regulations, the Resident(s) of Record may be subject to sanctions including termination of the rental agreement.
  9. University Village residents with guests will be given 30 days to comply; if not any violation of Guest Policy could be subject to termina­tion of the resident’s rental agreement.
  10. University Village residents noting violations of the approved Guest Policy may contact the dedicated “tip” phone line at (310) 825-2406 (UCLA406) to provide anonymous reports. Please leave the name or apartment number of the individual violating the policy on the voice­mail. This voicemail system is available 24 hours a day. It is not to be used to report maintenance or other administrative issues to the rental office.

 All guest resident requests will be considered and approved/denied by Management with UASRA advisory.

Back to Top

Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning - HVAC

The wall thermostat in your apartment controls the heating and cooling system. It is important that you understand how it works and how to operate it efficiently. Here are some tips that will enable you to maximize the effectiveness of the heating and cooling system in your unit.

The fan switch control operates as follows:

  • ON operates fan continuously and circulates the air in the apartment.
  • AUTO operates fan with cooling or heating on demand.
  • Continuously circulating the air keeps the tem­perature more even throughout the apartment by alleviating temperature stratification. When the fan is operating continuously, the compressor continues to periodically cycle on and off auto­matically to cool and dehumidify your apartment just as it does on the “auto” setting.

For Cooling - set the lever to the desired temperature

Do not set below 72 degrees, as this will cause inter­nal damage over time. Moreover, the unit coil may freeze, create condensation, and cause damage to the compressor and water damage to the ceiling. Also, setting the temperature below 72 degrees will not cool your apartment any quicker. Here are some tips

  • Plan hot work, baking, or cooking for cooler morning and evening hours.
  • Pull window coverings over windows facing the sun.
  • Close windows and doors when the air conditioning is on.
  • Set thermostat at highest comfortable level - each degree raised reduces energy consumption by 3-4%.

For Heating - set the lever to the desired temperature

Do not exceed 80 degrees as this will cause internal damage over time. Moreover, high heat, combined with moisture from the shower or bath, could create mold and an unhealthy environment in your unit. Also, setting the temperature above 80 degrees will not heat your apartment any quicker. To heat your unit effectively, reverse the process for “Cooling.”

  • Pull window coverings over windows at night to keep heat inside.
  • Close windows and doors when the heater is on.
  • Set the thermostat at the lowest comfortable level - each degree lowered reduces energy consumption.

Important Notes:

  • It is important to allow 20 - 30 seconds between temperature adjustments to avoid tripping the breakers.
  • Charges may be assessed for damages that result from the improper use of HVAC equipment.
  • Call UA Facilities Management for service, infor­mation, or assistance (see “Routine Maintenance Services” in this Handbook).


It is important to keep your apartment ventilated by opening windows or using the HVAC system to move the air through the apartment. Closed windows and stagnant air can trap moisture inside the apartment which could result in unhealthy conditions.

Use the bathroom fans whenever you are showering. Keep the bathroom door open after showering to distribute the moisture throughout the apartment. This will reduce mildew growth. If drying clothes inside the apartment, be diligent about keeping your windows open to help evaporate the additional moisture in the air.

Back to Top

In-Apartment Computing Regulations

The resident is solely responsible and shall be held accountable for his/her own behavior and for any inappropriate activity originating from his/her own computer. All passwords should be secure.

The resident shall abide by all applicable laws (state and federal) and University policies including, but not limited to, UCLA University Apartments Regulations & Policies, Time Warner, etc. Time Warner and UA management will investigate all suspected violations. UA management is responsible for primary discipline. Civil and criminal penalties may also result from violation of federal and state law. More information may be found in Appendix B of the Housing Contract.

Back to Top

Keys and Keycards

University Apartments buildings are equipped with keycard entry systems. Keycards require the use of a four-digit PIN number that is issued upon move in. Residents are not allowed to transfer possession of their keycard to anyone else; access is reserved for the contracted individual only. If you would like to request an extra key, please write or email your Resident Services Coordinator with the reason you need the additional key (e.g. a babysitter or a housekeeper). Additional keys are provided subject to management approval.

If a resident of record is locked out during regular business hours Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., he or she may borrow a key at the Administration Office. If the lockout occurs after 4 p.m., call the 24-Hour Service line at (310) 391-0686 and the AC on duty will respond. If a key is lost, the apartment must be re-keyed and the charge will be assessed to the resident.

If a mailbox key or keycard is lost, the mailbox or apartment must be re-keyed or the lock reprogrammed and a charge of $45-$120 will be assessed to the resident. If a keycard is damaged due to resident negligence, a $35 charge will be assessed to the resident (see “After- Hours Emergency Service” for additional information).

Keys or keycards are provided only to the resident of record. If you have a temporary house guest, the guest's name must be registered with the Administration Office in order to qualify for lockout assistance. Any person without a contract or not listed as a guest in the resident’s file will not be permitted to enter the apartment under any circumstances.

UAS residents have keycards that have a two-year expiration date. The Administration Office will send a notice 30 days prior to the expiration date. Residents must come to the Administration Office to renew the key(s).

Only University Apartments may issue keys or keycards. There will be a charge to re-issue each key or keycard. A charge will be assessed for the lost keycards that are permanently replaced. Any temporary keycards must be returned by 4 p.m. on the day issued to avoid charges. All issued keys and keycards must be returned upon termina­tion of tenancy or residents will be charged for full re-keying of the apartment, or reprogramming all associated locks.

Keycard Door Lock Instructions

  1. Place card into slot at top of door unit and remove.
  2. Use the keypad to input the personal code (PIN) issued to you by the office. Each card has its own PIN code so please do not switch cards.
  3. Wait for the green light.
  4. Turn down on the handle.
  5. The door should open.

Deadbolt Instructions

To engage the dead bolt from the outside:

  1. Close the door behind you and swipe keycard— lock will indicate green and red lights.
  2. Enter your four digit pin code.
  3. Lift handle up to engage security bolt.

To engage the dead bolt from the inside:

  1. With the door closed, simply lift up door handle and release.

Troubleshooting Your Lock/Card

The lock uses red and green signal lights to commu­nicate the following meanings:

  • Green - Means valid card. Door should open.
  • Red - May mean an invalid card, wrong code, the user is not authorized, or the card has been cancelled.
  • Red after 6 seconds - May mean that the card cannot be read, is blank, or is invalid.
  • Red and Green Alternating - May mean that the card is valid but not authorized at this time due to activation date, expiration date, or time restrictions.
  • Solid Green and Solid Red - May mean that it is waiting for you to input your PIN on the keypad.

If you are experiencing problems with your card or the entry lock, please contact the UAS Administration Office during regular business hours at (310) 398-4692. For assistance after hours and on weekends, please con­tact the 24-Hour Service line at (310) 391-0686.

Handling Lock-Outs

Keys may be borrowed by the following persons with photo I.D.:

  • The Resident(s) of Record and/or spouse listed on the Rental Agreement
  • A child 13 and older if his/her name is on the Rental Agreement. 

Children 13 and older not on the Rental Agreement and children under 13 that are on the Rental Agreement will require written permission from the Resident of Record for entry to the apartment.

Residents should inform the Administration Office in writing of all guests as unregistered guests will not be given access to the resident’s apartment in the event of a lockout.

During Regular Business Hours Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

If you are locked out during regular business hours, excluding holidays, you may borrow a key at the Administration Office at 3200 Sawtelle Boulevard.

There is no charge for lock-outs between 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. However, extenuating circumstances that require staff to go to a resident’s unit for a lock out will be considered an emergency lock out and subject to a lock-out fee of $20.

During After-Hours, Holidays, Weekends 4:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.

If the lockout occurs after 4:00 p.m., call the 24-Hour Service line at (310) 391-0686 for assistance and the AC on duty will respond. Any authorized resident requiring lockout services during this time will be charged as follows:

  • First three lock-outs in a year – no charge
  • Fourth lock-out in a year - $20
  • Fifth lock-out in a year - $40
  • Sixth and subsequent lock-outs in a year - $60

During After-Hours, Holidays, Weekends 12:01 a.m. – 7:30 a.m.

All after-hours lock-outs must be reported to the Apartment Coordinator on duty at (310) 391-0686 for assistance. Any authorized resident requiring lockout services during this time will be charged as follows:

  • First lock-out in a year - $20
  • Second lock-out in a year - $40
  • Third and subsequent lock-outs in a year - $60

Only residents of record will be permitted entry. If lockouts are excessive, fees will increase. If you lose your keycard after-hours, you will be charged $35 for the new key in addition to the lock-out fee.

Back to Top

Light Bulbs

UA Facilities Management will replace fluorescent and decorative light bulbs, as well as lights in common building areas such as courtyards and corridors. Do not remove fluorescent lights from the fixtures. You are responsible for replac­ing all other light bulbs.

Back to Top

Pest Control

University Apartments supports and adheres to an environmentally safe pest control program. In order for our pest control program to work effectively, it is essential for all residents to do their part. One unclean apartment can nurture an infestation that affects an entire building. Residents are required to maintain all units in a manner that promotes health and safety for all residents.

Residents are required to report pest control problems immediately, especially bedbug and cockroach infes­tations. If you want the apartment to be treated, you must go in person to the Administration Office to fill out an order form and liability waiver. For your convenience, you may print the forms at home by going to Make sure your unit is ready for the type of pest control you need or the vendor will be unable to complete the order.

The University also maintains a subterranean termite control program that may require your participation. University Apartments reserves the right to make pest control inspections at any time. All residents must cooperate if a building-wide fumigation is required. For more information, please contact the UAS Administration Office.

Residents may not bring pests into the unit, knowingly or not. In the event pests are introduced to the unit by the resident and are deemed by the University a hazard to health conditions in and safety of surrounding units, the resident may be liable financially for eradication measures, including but not limited to, pest control and furniture and/or carpet replacement.

Back to Top

Power Outages

Electrical outages of long duration can sometimes occur in the area. It is important that each resident be prepared for this eventuality. Some important sug­gestions are:

  • Have a flashlight available in your apartment and automobile. Check them on a regular basis to make sure they work.
  • Have a few extra blankets available since the thermostats on the heaters are electric and the heater will not function during a power outage.

It is the resident's responsibility to contact LADWP for updates if a power outage occures.

Back to Top


Keystone/Mentone, Rose Avenue, and Venice/Barry apartments allow single graduate students to share one or two bedroom apartments. All roommates must be full-time, regularly enrolled UCLA students. Married and family students are not permitted to have roommates. Each roommate is responsible to sign a separate Rental Agreement and submit a deposit. University Apartments does not provide roommate locator services for UAS. Each resident is responsible to locate his/her own roommate. In the event a roommate moves out, all remaining room­mates are responsible for the entire apartment rent, security deposit, and to assure the apartment is ready for a new move in.

Building Good Roommate Relationships

When you meet your new roommate(s), you should take the time to get to know each other.

A good place to start getting to know your roommate(s) is to compare notes on your background and your thoughts about being at UCLA. You may also want to talk about some of the basic issues college roommates face — study times, guests, privacy, drinking, neatness of the room, etc. Contact your Residential Service Coordinator to obtain a roommate questionnaire.

It is strongly recommended that residents prepare house rules in the form of a Roommate Contract within seven days of arrival to prevent roommate conflicts from occurring. Please do not hesitate to do this, as problems tend to occur when residents choose to ignore potential problems and find that it is too late to resolve them. If you are not sure where to begin, consider the follow­ing questions:

  1. When do you prefer to study? Do you study with background noise (e.g., music or TV)? Where do you prefer to study?
  2. How much sleep do you need each night? When do you prefer to go to bed? When do you wake up in the morning? Are you a light sleeper?
  3. How many guests are okay? And where? How often? What about overnight guests?
  4. How important is it that the room is neat and clean? How often to vacuum? How often to do other housekeeping?
  5. How do you feel about your roommate(s) borrow­ing your possessions (books, CDs, clothes, computer, audio video equipment, cookware, etc.)? What items are “off-limits” for borrowing? What behaviors or practices are “off-limits?” What are negotiable?
  6. How do you feel about drinking alcohol? How often do you use the phone?

Now that you’ve begun, you can add questions of your own. Give some thought to the items that you easily agreed upon as you discussed the questions. These provide the foundation on which you can build. You can start right now to work on the areas in which you didn’t agree. What items will require the greatest com­promise for you and your roommate(s)? How are you going to go about reaching those compromises?

Compromise, of course, does not mean that one of you makes the decisions and the other goes along with it. It is a give-and-take process in which each of you must have an equal voice, and must be willing to stand up for what you believe is right and fair. The idea is to meet at a reasonable middle point.

If you find it difficult to work out a particularly difficult problem, speak with your Apartment Coordinator at (310) 391-0686 to begin what is called the Collaborative Conflict Resolution process. If the prob­lem persists, we strongly encourage you to contact the Administration Office at 310-398-4692 to schedule a meeting with the Resident Services Coordinator. You and your roommate don’t have to do it all on your own.

Roommates and the Collaborative Conflict Resolution Process

It is assumed that all roommates understand the coop­eration necessary to establish a mutually supportive living and learning environment. However, the pos­sibility for roommate conflict still exists. Recognizing this, University Apartments has a policy for negotiating roommate problems.

It is important to explore the reasons and potential solutions to the conflict. If problems are occur­ring, we strongly encourage you to contact the Administration Office.

The first step will be to schedule a Roommate Mediation Meeting. The basic guidelines are as follows:

  1. Decide to work on the problem
  2. Prepare for the meeting
  3. Meeting - Step 1: Get the issues out
  4. Meeting - Step 2: Explore issues together
  5. Meeting - Step 3: Reach agreements; try to work things out
  6. Meeting - Step 4: Schedule a follow-up meeting

If residents/neighbors are not able to resolve conflicts that arise between one another, the parties involved may be required to participate in a mediation meeting with University Apartments staff and/or management. Residents agree that:

  1. University Apartments staff may request a media­tion meeting for the disputing residents/neighbors and attendance at the meeting is mandatory.
  2. All parties will make a good faith effort to settle disputes through mediation during this meeting.
  3. Residents requesting transfers or contract ter­mination due to a dispute may be required to participate in a mediation meeting.
  4. This provision does not preclude other legal rights of the parties.
  5. Failure to attend the meeting is subject to sanc­tions as detailed in this Handbook and/or removal from University Housing.

Back to Top

Shuttle Bus Service (Keystone/Mentone, Venice/Barry, and Clarington only)

Students residing at Keystone/Mentone, Venice/Barry, and Clarington are eligible to ride the shuttle bus to and from Campus during the academic year. Please note:

  • The shuttle bus is for Keystone/Mentone, Venice/Barry, and Clarington residents, resident’s spouses, and resident’s children only.
  • Keystone/Mentone, Venice/Barry, and Clarington residents and spouses must present their shuttle bus pass to the bus driver. The shuttle bus pass may be obtained from the Administration Office.
  • Guests of residents are not permitted to ride the shuttle bus.
  • Residents’ children are permitted to ride the shuttle bus provided they are accompanied by one parent.
  • Shuttle passes are not transferrable. Keystone/Mentone, Venice/Barry, and Clarington residents cannot give their passes to non-residents to use. This is a subleasing violation of the shuttle service and will result in the termination of the rental agreement.
  • If the shuttle bus pass is lost, there is a replacement cost of $100 per card. Any card that has not expired, and is not returned upon moving out, will result in a $100 charge per card.

Back to Top

Smoke Detectors and Fire Safety Equipment

For your safety, all University Apartments facilities are equipped with smoke detectors and fire sprinklers.

  1. Residents shall not tamper with, remove any portion, or disable smoke detectors, fire sprinklers, or the fire safety system. It is a serious violation of the University Apartments Regulations and Policies as well as being against Fire Safety Codes to do so.
  2. Resident will be responsible for damages associated with the tampering or misuse of this equipment.
  3. Fire sprinkler heads are to be properly maintained.
  4. Nothing is to be hung from the fire sprinklers at any time. Residents will be held financially respon­sible for any damages caused by hanging items from the fire sprinkler that result in activating the sprinkler system and flooding their apartments and adjacent apartments.
  5. Do not store any items near the sprinklers in apartments or garage areas.

Back to Top


To establish phone service at all complexes except Keystone/Mentone and Clarington, contact Verizon at (800) 483-4000 or use their website at At Keystone/Mentone and Clarington, contact AT&T at (800) 310-2355. You will need the follow­ing information:

  • Identification number from your driver’s license or passport
  • Employment information
  • Social Security number
  • Credit card number from a major credit card (i.e., MasterCard, Visa, or American Express)
  • Residence address
  • Previous phone number within the last two months, if applicable
  • Age (there is a discount for certain customers)

Expect to pay from $46 to $86 to install a telephone. Charges will be assessed on the first billing. The service can often be initiated over the phone. Sometimes, however, it is necessary to go directly to the local Verizon Phone Mart to arrange for service. Residents may pay to hook up additional phone lines. However, only one land line may be used for the building entry system.

Phone service remains the financial responsibility of the residents. It is up to the current residents to decide to have this service, and if so, which resident in the unit will subscribe for the service. If residents choose to install an additional phone line, they will be solely responsible for any charges.

Resident Telephone Line Repair Policy

The University is responsible to provide one working telephone jack for each apartment. When a resident reports problems with his/her telephone service, the Resident Services Coordinator or Facilities Staff will initiate a service request for a facilities staff member to investigate the problem, determine a remedy, and facilitate the subsequent repair. The work will be prioritized accordingly. For example, if there is no dial tone, the work shall be a Priority 1. If there is tone, but resident is experiencing static or other type of interference, the work order will be a Priority 2.

When/if it is determined that the defect is beyond the telephone demarcation, facilities staff will notify the resident to contact his/her service provider to facilitate the repair. The Facilities staff will make a note on the work order indicating they instructed resident to contact the utility when it was determined that the problem is with the utility.

If the problem originates within UA property (within a unit), the Facilities staff will initiate the repair accord­ingly. If Facilities staff is unable to correct the prob­lem, they will report the problem immediately to a supervisor. The supervisor will make arrangements for a University Contractor to correct the problem. UA Facilities Management will notify the resident to sched­ule any repairs.

UAS residents may call the UAS Administration Office (310) 398-4692 for assistance.

Back to Top


Utilities, other than water, trash removal, basic cable television, and high-speed Internet access, are the responsibility of the resident, including initiating service and payment of bills. Residents must initiate utility service in their names within 3 three days of moving into their apartment. An exception exists at University Village where the University pays for the gas; however, excessive gas usage may be charged back to the resident.

Residents must initiate utility service in their names within three business days of moving into their apartment. If the resident fails to do so within three business days of moving in, the University will disconnect the service until the resident transfers the utilities to his/her name and charge the resident any cost incurred prior to the transfer.

If a resident is transferring to another unit within University Apartments, the resident is responsible to both transfer the service to the new unit and pay the closing balance on the original unit. Note: So Cal Gar DOES NOT transfer closing balances to new accounts.

The util­ity companies require 2-4 days’ notice and a deposit before turning on service. Please contact your Resident Services Coordinator for assistance if you experience difficulties in getting the utilities turned on due to payment problems of the prior resident.

Remember, you must also arrange to have your utili­ties disconnected when you terminate your residency and move out of UAS. Please transfer your elec­tricity and gas to the “The Regents of the University of California” effective the date of your Notice of Intent to Vacate.

Telephone numbers for the utility companies are as follows:

Department of Water and Power (DWP) - Electricity
1394 Sepulveda Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025
(800) 342-5397 (toll free within California)
(213) 481-5411 (outside California)

Note: Electrical service must be established in resident’s name within three business days of move-in. Failure to do so may result in an order to disconnect. A $19.00 service fee will be charged to your DWP account at the time you establish service.

The Gas Company
1300 6th Street, Santa Monica, CA
(800) 427-2200 (outside California)

AT&T - Telephone Service for Keystone/Mentone and Clarington Avenue
(800) 310-2355

Verizon - Telephone and Internet Service
251 Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, CA
(800) 483-4000 or

Time Warner Cable - Cable Television, Telephone, and Internet
6695 Green Valley Circle, Culver City, CA 90230
(866) 886-7282 or

Note: The University is not responsible for any equipment rented to the resident by Time Warner Cable. By signing your rental agreement or contract, you are agreeing to the Time Warner “acceptable use policy” for their Internet service. Return all equipment to Time Warner. Do not leave equipment in your apartment. Residents may be charged up to $500 for equipment not returned. In addition, the University will assess a $50 item return fee payable on your Housing account if any equipment is found in the unit after you have vacated.

Back to Top