UAN Handbook Section 4

(return to Handbook index)

Your Housing Contract


University Apartments North Eligibility for Single Students

  1. To remain eligible for housing, all assigned Weyburn Terrace, Hilgard, and UAN single students must be enrolled full time as defined by the Registrar.
  2. UAN undergraduate single-student apartments may be shared only by roommates of the same gender.
  3. Weyburn Terrace student apartments may be shared by roommates of the opposite gender when the following criteria are met:
    a. The apartment provides a private bedroom for each occupant.
    b. All occupants must be currently enrolled UCLA students.
    c. Students must mutually request each other as apartment occupants.
    d. Students must be 18 years of age or older.
  4. The contract for Weyburn Terrace, Hilgard, and UAN single students is for the stated term. Residents who choose to renew their contracts must reapply and pay an application fee.
  5. Length of stay. The maximum length of stay for Weyburn Terrace, Hilgard, and UAN single students is three (3) years.
  6. All transfer requests must be made in writing and be approved by Management.

A change in status within the University from stu­dent status, medical resident or dental resident, or Post-Doctoral Scholar to faculty or staff status may terminate further residency eligibility. Any change in status must be reported to the Rental Office and continued eligibility approved by Management.

Eligibility Verification

Student eligibility verification is conducted during the Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters. In order to reside in University Apartments, you must be enrolled as a full-time student or medical intern or resident. Postdoctoral appointees are eligible and have lowest priority. Therefore, postdoctoral appoin­tees are not offered housing until all students have been offered and declined. A letter will be sent to the resident if eligibility cannot be established. This letter requests verification of the resident’s UCLA status within a specific time frame.

If at any point during your stay at University Apartments you receive a request of proof of eligibility letter, please respond promptly to avoid possible termination of the Rental Agreement/Contract. It is your responsibility to keep the Administration Office informed of any changes in your status and/or respond to any request regarding proof of status.

If you are an academic Postdoctoral Scholar, you must provide proof from the Graduate Division that you are registered with them as a Postdoctoral Scholar showing the beginning and ending dates for your appointment. Appointment letters must be provided on an annual basis. Failure to provide your appointment letter may result in a loss of housing eligibility.

Back to Top

Contract Renewal for Weyburn Terrace and Hilgard Residents

Housing contracts renew each year of the resident’s eligible tenancy on July 1 via electronic opt in.

You may renew your rental agreement for a one (1) year term beginning July 1 and ending on July 1 of the following year. To be eligible, you must maintain an affiliation that qualifies you for University Apartments housing, provided that you have not exceeded the maximum length of residency for University Apartments (a cumulative total of three (3) years). Resident’s failure to opt in by 60 days prior to the start of a new term shall be considered “notice” of Resident’s intent to vacate on the termination date of the previous Agreement.

Step-by-step instructions on renewing your contract are available at My Housing.

Back to Top

Payment of Rent

Please contact Housing Services through Ask Housing at for informa­tion regarding:

  • Payment of Rent
  • Payment Due Dates
  • Methods of Payment
  • Non-Payment of Housing Fees
  • Alternative Payment Arrangements
  • Refunds

Payment Options

Rental payments may be made in person with cash or check at the Housing Cashiers office. For hours, please visit The office address is:

Housing Cashiers
360 De Neve Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095

Online rental payment through BruinBill located on the MyUCLA website may be made using one of the following three options:

  • Electronic checks (e-checks) are an easy way to pay rent directly from a student’s checking or savings account. As banks have different format requirements, students should check with their bank for accurate routing and account numbers. Payment is made on the BruinBill My Accounts page and results in a direct payment from a bank account to UCLA for the amount specified. There is no fee for this payment method which is also known as Automated Clearing House (ACH).
  • Credit cards: The BruinBill accepts payment by American Express, Discover, Visa and MasterCard. Payment by credit card is subject to a 2.75% convenience fee.
  • Western Union (formerly Travelex) international payments are a new option for international payments. Processing through Western Union, a student logs into his or her BruinBill account and chooses the foreign cur­rency payment link. The process generates a letter that the student prints and takes to his or her bank within 72 hours. A pending payment shows on the student’s account but DOES NOT prevent courses from being dropped, release holds, or relieve the responsibility of making pay­ment on the account. If the student pays within 72 hours, the BruinBill account is updated and the pending payment is removed. Payments not made within 72 hours may not fully cover the amount owed.

Students may grant third parties access to BruinBill to view account status and submit payment through the MyUCLA website.

Students may sign up for auto payment of housing charges through BruinBill. Based on the date speci­fied by the student, the BruinBill will automatically obtain payment for the current balance from a stored credit card or eCheck. If the date chosen is before the installment is posted to the BruinBill, the student will have to submit payment manually.

Miscellaneous Charges

Charges related to your stay in University hous­ing will also be posted to your housing account. Miscellaneous charges may include charges for damages, replacement costs, violation of the rules listed in this Handbook or on the housing Rental Agreement/Contract, and for additional services rendered. Miscellaneous charges should be reflected on your Housing account within three (3) business days. All miscellaneous charges are due upon receipt and should be paid immediately. Failure to pay may result in an academic record restriction.

University Apartments pays for water, trash removal, gas, electricity, basic cable television, and high-speed internet access for all UAN undergraduate and graduate single student apartment buildings

Charge Disputes

Questions regarding charges on your account should be directed to the originating department. For mis­cellaneous charges, please contact your University Apartments Resident Services Coordinator. If a resolu­tion cannot be reached with the Resident Services Coordinator, an appeal may be submitted to the University Apartments Area Manager. If such appeal is submitted, the resident is still responsible for paying that charge until the dispute is resolved.

Please contact the Housing Services Accounts Receivable Office if you have questions regarding other housing charges.

Students may request a hearing on the validity of the debt in advance of the academic hold/restriction being placed as outlined in UCLA procedure 210.1. To request a hearing, please contact Housing Services through AskHousing.

Other Legal Action

As a resident of University Apartments, you are also required to abide by the regulations and policies as contained in the University Apartments Resident Handbook, University Apartments Regulations and Policies, and Rental Agreement/Contract. If you fail to do so, the University may serve you with a Three-Day Notice to Perform Covenant or Quit. The notice will give you the oppor­tunity to either correct the applicable violations of the contract or move out within a three-day period.

The University also reserves the right to terminate the contract without cause by giving you 30-day advance written Termination of Tenancy notice in the event you have lived in the premises for less than one year or a 60-day advance written Termination of Tenancy notice in the event you have lived in the premises for one year or more.

Contact Information

Housing Services Offices (

  • Housing Accounts Receivable
  • Housing Assignments
  • Housing Cashiers
  • Community Housing Office (

Questions for any of the Housing Services offices may be asked and answered online at http:/ask.hous­ All Housing Services offices are located on the 1st floor of Sproul Hall. The address for all four offices is:

360 De Neve Drive
Los Angeles CA 90095-1383
MC: 138307

University Apartments Administration Offices

University Apartments North
11020 Weyburn Drive
Los Angeles CA 90024
MC: 144907
(310) 983-1300

University Apartments South
3200 Sawtelle Blvd.
Los Angeles CA 90066
MC: 149707
(310) 398-4692

Back to Top

Rental Rate Increases

Housing is an auxiliary enterprise in the UC system and therefore totally self-supporting. Apartment rental rates are reviewed each year and rate increases typically occur in July. Every effort is made to keep rates as low as possible without compromising the integrity of the physical plant and every attempt is made to support and sustain the many services UCLA faculty, students and student families have come to enjoy at University Apartments.

Back to Top

Renter’s Insurance

University Apartments is part of the Los Angeles com­munity and, unfortunately, crime is a reality. While University Apartments benefits from UCPD patrols and continues to implement other security related processes, the fact remains that this is not a crime-free community.

Residents are strongly encouraged to support all security related policies and procedures and to purchase Renters Insurance for personal belongings through a major insurance agency as the University’s self-insurance program does not pro­vide coverage for resident’s personal property, liability for resident’s damage to the apartment, the building, or other residents’ property, or for resident’s vehicles. Resident’s belongings could be damaged in several ways: fire, water damage if a pipe broke or a bathtub overflowed. Personal property could also be stolen or destroyed if someone broke into the apartment. Resident’s negligent or intentional actions may also cause damage to the apartment, building, or other Residents’ property. University Apartments is not always responsible to replace or repair resident’s personal belongings. If a resident, however, obtains a renter’s/resident’s insur­ance policy, the resident will have his/her own personal insurance carrier to turn to in the event of a loss.

University Apartment’s Management recommends that all residents obtain:

  1. A resident’s or renter’s insurance policy for coverage of his/her personal property and damage the resident may cause to others’ real or personal property.
  2. Auto insurance, which includes comprehensive coverage for his/her vehicles.

National Student Services Inc. is a low cost personal property insurance company that is a full service, low cost program designed specifi­cally to protect personal property. Please visit for more infor­mation.

Back to Top


All residents moving out of University Apartments are responsible for understanding and completing the vacate procedures detailed below. If you have any questions, please call the Administration Office at (310) 983-1300 at least ten working days prior to move-out. We want to help you understand your responsibilities before you leave.

Roommates and Partial Vacancies

Occasionally, roommates will leave during the school year. When this occurs, there is a space available for another student. As a result, it is necessary to inspect partially occupied units to determine that the residents are keeping the unit up to a standard that will permit a new move-in. Residents are informed of inspections in advance. If work is required in the apartment and our staff or vendor needs to do it, all the residents will be charged. Charges can be avoided if residents follow a regular cleaning routine and use the cleaning guidelines pro­vided in this Handbook.

UAN undergrads and Weyburn Terrace resi­dents: When a roommate of a multi-resident unit vacates, Housing is authorized to conduct an occupancy check and will enter the unit to con­firm that the resident has moved out.


Subletting restrictions vary within University Apartments. Residents are not permitted to act as either the landlord or resident by entering into a private agreement to rent a room, garage, parking space, or any portion of University property or furnishings to or from another resident. The apartments and garages are the property of University Apartments and are not subject to private rental. Termination of the housing contract or rental agreement may be pursued for violations of this rule.

It is prohibited for any resident to advertise or solicit to rent any portion of their apartment, UCLA Property or furnishings including parking spaces and garages, with or without the intention of profiting from University owned property, on any websites, social media, or advertising mediums of any kind, including but not limited to CouchSurfing, Facebook, Newspapers, VRBO, and word of mouth, etc.

Undergraduate Apartment Buildings

Subletting an apart­ment, any portion of University property, or parking space is not permitted under any circumstances and may result in the ter­mination of the housing contract.

Weyburn Terrace and Hilgard Graduate Apartment Buildings

A Weyburn Terrace or Hilgard resident with a current contract may sublet his/her apartment at no more than the current rent rate for up to two quarters or one semester only if the following provisions are met:

  1. Resident must have written approval from University Apartments and Housing Services to sublease. A Consent to Sublease form is provided by Housing Services and must be filed with and approved by University Apartments and Housing Services.
  2. Resident will remain liable for obligations under his/her housing contract/rental agreement, including payment of monthly rent and miscellaneous charges/damages to unit. Resident and subleasee must follow all University and University Apartments policies and procedures.
  3. Financial arrangement to the sublease will be between the Resident and the Subleasee. University Apartments and the University assumes no responsibility for any disputes that arise between Resident and Subleasee regarding rental payment or any other issue or obligation related to the sublease.
  4. Subleasee must be a student at least 21 years of age or older.
  5. The sublease period will count towards maximum term of housing allowance of the Resident of Record.
  6. In a two-bedroom apartment, the remaining or assigned roommate, if any, must agree to the sublease.
  7. Subleases will only be approved once per academic year per Resident. The maximum period that the Resident can sublease is two quarters or one semester.
  8. Residents considering subleasing are strongly urged to collect a security deposit as well as the entire rental amount for the sublease period.
  9. Resident is responsible for forwarding pertinent housing email and communication to the Subleasee.
  10. Resident may not occupy the apartment during the sublease period.
  11. The Resident must enter into a Consent to Sublease with the University and the Subleasee. The Consent to Sublease contracts the following provisions:
  • A copy of the Rental Agreement shall be attached to said Consent to Sublease, and shall be incorporated therein as if set out in full.
  • The Subleasee shall perform and be bound by all provision of the Rental Agreement between Resident and the University.
  • Resident remains obligated to pay rent and shall make all rental payments to the University.
  • Said Consent to Sublease is subject to termination at any time on 30 days' written notice from any of the parties to the other.
  • Any waiver or modification of the conditions of said Consent to Sublease shall be in writing.
  • Residents who have entered into an approved Consent to Sublease agreement cannot charge more than the current rental rate for the apartment, unless it is for designated amounts to cover items such as furnishings and/or utilities.

To be eligible to sublet a unit the Subleasee must be a student at least 21 years of age or older. The sub-lessee must bring student ID or transcript as proof that they are a student to the Housing Assignments office prior to approval. In two bedroom units, the sub-lessee must be the same gender as the remaining roommate to avoid roommate issues unless remaining roommate agrees in writing to allow an opposite gender to sublease the unit. The remaining roommate must sign the sublease agreement to indicate approval.

Sublet listings may be posted for free on the UCLA Community Housing Office website, The office will verify that you have accepted your contract for the sublet period before posting your ad.

It is prohibited for any resident to advertise or solicit to rent any portion of their apartment, UCLA property or furnishings including parking spaces and garages, with or without the intention of profiting from University owned property, or any websites, social media, or advertising mediums of any kind, including but not limited to CouchSurfing, Facebook, Newspapers, VRBO, and word of mouth, etc.


Transfer Policy

The University reserves the right to make all apart­ment assignments and to transfer residents from one unit to another during the tenancy. The Housing Assignment Office (HAO) is responsible for assigning and terminating contracts for all students living on-campus, in UAN, Weyburn Terrace, and Hilgard. The UAN Administration Office and the Housing Assignment Office are jointly responsible for transfers within the University Apartments North Weyburn Terrace, and Hilgard communities.

For office hours or to contact Housing Services, please visit the Ask Housing website at

The HAO is located on the first floor of Sproul Hall:
360 De Neve Drive
Box 951383
Los Angeles CA 90095-1383

Single Graduate Transfers

Housing Services and the University Apartments North will accept transfer requests throughout the academic year from tenants who hope to be re-assigned. The requests will be placed on a transfer waitlist. Transfers may be offered at any point during the academic year depending on when space becomes available. Tenants may submit, revise, or withdraw their transfer request at any point.

Housing Services will begin accepting transfer requests in early October. To submit a transfer request, please download, complete, and return the Excel document found here. You can forward the completed document by emailing Housing Services through Ask Housing. Housing Services will use each tenant's randomly assigned priority number to create a sort order for transfer requests. While this will be the primary method of sorting, certain transfer requests with extenuating circumstances may be given priority. Transfer will only be offered to the buildings and apartment types indicated on the transfer request. This process only applies to transfer requests within the University Apartments North area buildings of Weyburn Terrace and Hilgard apartments.

If you transfer request is approved, you will be emailed additional information about the location of the unit and will be given a timeframe within which you must complete the transfer. If a transfer offer is declined, the student will be moved to the bottom of the transfer waitlist if the student wishes to remain on the waitlist.

Internal Transfer Process

The Administration Office at 11020 Weyburn Drive may handle emergency transfers. Please contact this Office directly for procedures. Prior to transfers of this type, residents within the unit may need to meet for mediation.

These are:

  1. Transfer from a University Apartments North, Weyburn Terrace, or Hilgard space to another University Apartments North space within the same apartment building and same room type will be at the discretion and direction of University Apartments Management. Please visit the Administration Office at 11020 Weyburn Drive, or call (310) 983-1300 for details.
  2. Roommate exchanges in the same room-type only.

Transfer Policy between Weyburn Terrace or Hilgard and University Apartments South (UAS)

There are no automatic transfers from Weyburn Terrace or Hilgard to University Apartments South (UAS). Individuals may request to move from Weyburn Terrace or Hilgard to UAS only after they have satis­fied the following criteria:

  1. The resident must fill out a housing applica­tion for UAS (which includes paying the $30.00 non-refundable application fee). He/she will be considered a new applicant on the waitlist. All contract obligations with Weyburn Terrace or Hilgard must be fulfilled in order to be eligible for housing at UAS. This includes appealing to terminate the contract held for the UAN apartment.
  2. If a department-allocated student is on contract at Weyburn Terrace or Hilgard and becomes married during the course of his/her stay, he/she is eligible for housing at UAS, provided that this occurs within the three-year guaranteed housing contract period. The Weyburn Terrace or Hilgard contract will have an effective termination date that is the same as the move-in date to UAS.
  3. If an individual is not designated as department-allocated and becomes married while living at Weyburn Terrace or Hilgard, UA is under no obli­gation to offer housing in any other UA property. This individual must move out of Weyburn Terrace or Hilgard and apply for housing at UAS under the normal application process. No priority on the waitlist will be given.
  4. UAS is under no obligation to provide priority housing to individuals who have completed their three-year maximum length of occupancy contract at Weyburn Terrace or Hilgard. These individuals may apply for housing at UAS, but are not given priority status on the waitlist.
  5. If an individual provides false information on his/her application (i.e., marital status, school standing, etc.), it will result in the termination of their housing contract and exclusion from all UA housing.
  6. Housing for UAS is offered on a space-available basis and is not guaranteed.

If a WT or Hilgard resident requests to move to UAS as a roommate, the following procedures are to be followed:

  1. The resident residing in UAS must first contact the UAS Administration Office to request to have a roommate who currently lives in WT or Hilgard to move in.
  2. If the move is approved by the UAS Administration Office, the WT or Hilgard resident must then contact the UAN Administration Office to fill out an Appeal for Termination of Housing Contract form and provide the reason and provide supporting documentation.
  3. If the Appeal to Terminate is approved by the UAN Administration Office and Housing Services, the resident will be notified.
  4. Contracts are different for WT and Hilgard versus those in UAS. Contracts for UAN are yearly and contracts in UAS are month-to-month.

WT or Hilgard contract will not be cancelled until a signed rental agreement is received for the UAS apartment.

A WT or Hilgard contract must be cancelled in order to move into a UAS apartment.

An offer in UAS as a roommate is not a valid reason to terminate a WT or Hilgard contract.

If a resident moves into WT or Hilgard as a single student, but later informs the office that he/she is married, he/she needs to submit an Appeal to Terminate his/her contract. If there is no availability at UAS for the married resident, then he/she has seven (7) days to vacate his/her unit.

All transfer requests will be considered and approved/ denied by Management.


Contract Terminations

The University may terminate the University Apartments Housing Contract and rights of occu­pancy upon thirty or sixty days’ notice to the resident depending upon resident’s length of stay. Please refer to the University Apartments Housing Contract, Section 9, a-g. for a description of the circumstances.

The Resident may also terminate the Contract with written approval from the University. Approved rea­sons for termination by the Resident are graduation, academic withdrawal, leave of absence, marriage (only when marriage occurs after contract begins), and severe financial and/or medical problems. However, the Contract does not allow the Resident to make the approval determination. The “Appeal for Termination” form is available at the Administration Office. Please bring a brief letter of intent and sup­porting documentation to the office to pick up the form.

If the “Appeal for Termination of Housing Contract” is approved, the termination date will be effective the date of University approval or the checkout date, whichever is later. The Resident remains respon­sible for all room charges until the termination date and there may be cancellation fees assessed. For information on cancellation fees, refer to the current University Apartments Housing Contract, Section 9. If the Resident does not vacate in accordance with instructions, the Housing Assignment Office may assess a fee to the Resident.

If approved for Termination of Contract, the Resident must vacate property by the termination date. As the Resident is no longer covered by the Contract after the termination date, a Resident wish­ing to stay longer than the termination date must secure approval and will be charged for the extension in time.


Residents who graduate must provide verification of degree-related course completion from their department and follow the steps outlined below in the “Referral for Termination of Housing Contract Process.” Approved requests for termination based on graduation are not assessed cancellation fees.


If the Resident withdraws during any academic quarter he/she must submit the completed Appeal for Termination of Housing Contract form and a written letter requesting termi­nation. If the withdrawal has been processed by the Registrar’s Office, the Housing Assignment Office will verify the information once the Appeal is submitted. If the withdrawal has not been processed, the student may submit a copy of the Registrar’s Withdrawal Form as documentation.

UCLA Housing Contract Cancellation Guidelines

UCLA Housing has established guidelines to ensure that students who have signed a legally binding room and board contract can cancel their contract with prior University approval under certain circumstances.

Cancellations without Cause Received Prior to the Scheduled Contract Start Date

Undergraduate Students

A Contract Termination Fee will be charged according to the following schedule:

Students will be assessed a $400 cancellation fee if and when their housing appeal is approved by Housing Services. See “Appeal for Termination” instructions under the Contract Termination section.

Graduate Students / Weyburn Terrace and Hilgard

Students will be assessed a $400 cancellation fee if and when their housing appeal is approved by Housing Services. See “Appeal for Termination” instructions under the Contract Termination section. Requests for termination of the contract must be received prior to 4:00 p.m. on the last business day prior to the start date of the contract.

Graduate students on a semester program (Law and Medical students) may notify Housing Services by April 1 that they wish to terminate their contract as of May 31. No cancellation fee will be assessed for semester students terminating their contracts on May 31.

Cancellations for Cause Received after the Scheduled Contract Start Date

A student may cancel his/her contract after the contract begins without paying cancellation fees by presenting one of the following:

  • Written verification from the Campus Student Health Services, Student Psychological Services, or the student’s personal treating physician confirming that it is in the student’s best interest to move out of campus residence halls/suites or University apartment. Verifications need to be written on Departmental or the treating physi­cian’s letterhead.
  • A valid copy of a marriage certificate stating the marriage has occurred within the academic school year.
  • Written verification from the campus administra­tion that the student is participating in a UCLA Academic Program that requires relocation. Examples include the Education Abroad Program, the UCDC Program, etc.
  • Proof of extraordinary conditions beyond the control of the student (unforeseen circumstances) including the death of an immediate family member and/or loss of employment of a parent making it financially impractical to live in campus housing.

In all instances, each case will be reviewed on its own merits and a decision will be made regarding the request to cancel the contract within five working days from receipt of the request. Appeals that are received after the contract begins will be reviewed by the Housing Appeals Board within 15 working days from receipt of the cancellation request.

Cancellations without Cause Received After Taking Occupancy

Cancellations without cause that are received after taking occupancy will be reviewed by the Housing Appeals Board.

Moving Out of Your Apartment

Your Account is to be Paid in Full Prior to Your Departure

All outstanding balances need to be paid prior to checkout. The Housing Accounts Receivable Office is located at 360 De Neve Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1383. The office is open Monday - Friday, 9:00 -11:30 a.m. and 12:30 - 4:00 p.m. Telephone: (310) 206-7011. E-mail through:


UA Facilities Management will conduct a preliminary inspection of your apartment at least two weeks prior to your scheduled move-out date per your request. All contract holders of the apartment must be present for the pre-inspection. During the preliminary inspection, Facilities staff will discuss with you any deficiencies that may need repair or cleaning and possible mitigation measures. The purpose of this inspection is to allow you to make these changes to your unit to avoid additional charges. Please call UAN Facilities Maintenance at (310) 983-1315 to arrange this inspection as soon as possible after submitting your Notice of Intent to Vacate.

Apartment Cleaning Required

Vacating residents are required to return the apart­ment to its original condition, reasonable wear and use excepted. Damages and cleaning charges will be assessed based on failure to do the following:

  • Remove all trash from the apartment, garage/ carport, patio, balcony, and storage cabinets. Charges will be assessed if not completed by resident.
  • Remove all personal belongings. Charges will be assessed for disposal and/or storage of any item.
  • Clean floors, cupboards, counter tops and walls. Grease and dirt must be removed from all surfaces. Charges will be assessed for the extra cleaning if you neglect to do so.
  • Clean your stove, refrigerator, and microwave. Remember to clean underneath and behind the refrigerator. There will be a $25 charge assessed for each appliance that requires additional cleaning.
  • Remove all contact paper from drawers, cabinets and walls. Charges will be assessed if resident neglects to do so.
  • Remove all wallpaper, paneling, mirror tiles, murals, decals, stick hangers, etc. Charges will be assessed for removal by staff.
  • Fill all nail holes in the walls with spackle. Charges will be assessed if filled by staff.
  • Clean bathroom floor, bathtub/shower, basins, toilets, mirrors and medicine cabinets. Charges will be assessed for extra cleaning.
  • Replace all draperies, light fixtures, etc., removed by resident when moving in. Charges will be assessed for any missing items and also if the items are not re-hung.
  • Vacuum carpet. Resident will be charged for any soil or spots that remain and result in the need for commercial treatment or carpet replacement. If the unit is occupied less than one year, the resident will be charged for a carpet steam clean.

Cancelling Cable Services

If you purchased premium services from Time Warner, it is your responsibility to cancel them and return any extra equipment. You are also responsible for the internet equipment when you vacate. If your cable modem is missing from your apartment, all residents of record will be charged $500 equitably.

If you have any questions, call your utility company for clarification.

Time Warner Cable
(Cable TV, Telephone, and Internet)
6695 Green Valley Circle
Culver City, CA 90230-7024
(866) 886-7282

File a Change of Address

Notify the U.S. Postal Service, the Administration Office, and all charge accounts two weeks prior to moving out. The Administration Office will not be able to hold mail for you. Also, it is not possible for us to allow you to have any further access to the mailbox once you are no longer a resident at that address. Therefore, please be sure to file a change of address well in advance of your move-out. When you file a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service, it is effective for a six-month period.

Check Out With the Administration Office and Return All Keys

All keys and keycards (for buildings, apartments, garages, mailboxes), your parking hangtag(s), gate access key, and garage openers (when applicable) are to be returned to the UAN Administration Office on your move-out date. Weyburn Terrace parking permits must be turned into UCLA Transportation Services. It is the responsibility of the resident moving out on a week­end to be aware of the procedures and make arrangements for the return of the keys with the UAN Administration Office before 12 p.m. noon Friday prior to your weekend move-out date.

If your keycard is not returned, you will be assessed $35 to reprogram all associated locks. If your mailbox keys are not returned, you will be assessed $45 for a mailbox lock replacement. The mailbox will be re-keyed if any keys are missing on move-out date. You will also be assessed $50 for any parking hangtag not returned, and $75 for each garage door opener not returned.

  • Do not give keys and/or keycards, or parking hangtags and garage openers to roommates or leave keys in the unit. Vacating residents who have others turn in keys or leave their keys in the UAN Administration Office night drop do so at their own risk.
  • Charges will be assessed on the apartment until keys or keycards are returned or a lock change is performed.
  • Bicycles and mopeds may not be stored on the property. All bicycles and mopeds that are left will be removed and impounded following check­out. The owner will be responsible for cost of this service and for storage.
  • If the keys are not received by 12:00 p.m. (Noon) on the day of your scheduled check-out, you are subject to late fees.

On mass check-out dates, University staff will direct traffic and assist with parking in the UAN properties. Vehicles belonging to residents who have not made special arrangements for an extended stay must be out of the parking structures by check­out time or they will be towed. Parking in driveways to load is limited to 15 minutes. Advise parents and friends that, after this time, vehicles without special permits may be towed.

Move-Out Date - Return Keys to Avoid Penalties

Keys are to be returned according to your contract end date and time. Your move-out date is used to determine the move-in date for the next resident. Therefore, it is imperative that you return your keys on your contract-end date. All keycards are programmed to expire at the same time on your check-out date.

If UAN Administration Office does not receive your keys by your assigned move-out date and time, charges will be assessed for unauthorized stay, late/improper check-out, pro-rated rent, hold­over rent, and any additional costs and fees that University Apartments incurs to have the apartment ready for the next resident to move in. If there are any items remaining in the apartment after your move-out date, they will be removed and stored at your expense according to University policy.

The UAN Administration Office is open until 4:00 p.m., Monday- Friday during check-out week. Keys are to be turned in to the UAN Administration Office at 11020 Weyburn Drive. Call the Administration Office for any additional information at (310) 983-1300. All residents are required to check out of their building by 12:00 p.m. (Noon) on Friday of check-out week.

For the residents' convenience, there is a 24-hour drop box located outside the main door of the UAN Administration Office, located at 11020 Weyburn Drive, where residents may return their keycard and mailbox key after hours. Do not place loose keys in the drop box since they are not identifiable and residents will be charged as if the keys were not returned. The keycards and mailbox keys must be placed in an envelope with the resident's name, address and University ID number written on the envelope. The envelope must be sealed and dropped inside the drop box.

Routine Check-Out

A proper check-out means you must check out no later than 12:00 p.m. (Noon) on your contract end-date. It entails the return of keycards, keys, and any other property checked out (e.g., parking hangtag, garage opener, etc.) Even if you lose the key(s), you must check out at the UAN Administration Office so we may begin the renovation process.

Late Check-Out

Requests for late check-out must be submitted in writing to the office at 11020 Weyburn Drive or by emailing Under special circumstances if you are approved for late check-out, you will be informed of the extension time/date with email confirmation. Unauthorized late check-out after 12 p.m. on your assigned check-out date is assessed a $75 fee for improper check out, unauthorized nightly stay fee of $75 for each additional night, plus the nightly rental charge for each night.

Late Check-Out Request Deadline (Undergraduate Residents)

Undergraduate residents who are scheduled to move out at the end of the quarter and need to request a Late Check-Out must do so at least two weeks prior to the designated move-out date. Residents must submit the request in writing to the UAN Administration office and provide supporting documentation.

Check-Out for Each Undergraduate Quarter

  • Fall Quarter Termination Date:
    Friday, December 15, 2017, 12:00 pm Noon.
  • Winter Quarter Termination Date:
    Friday, March 23, 2018, 12:00 pm Noon.
  • Spring Quarter Termination Date:
    Friday, June 15, 2018, 12:00 pm Noon

Final Exams (Undergraduate Residents)

Residents who have a final exam on the Friday of Spring quarter may stay up until 7:00 p.m. without charge. You must submit an extension request with proof of the late exam to the UAN Administration Office by the given extension request deadline. Extensions are not guaranteed and are contingent upon availability and University Apartments’ renovation schedule. Approvals are granted on a case-by-case basis. Once approved, you will receive a confirmation with your new check out time. Failure to move out by the new time will result in a $75 late check-out fee and $75 improper check-out fee. You must come to the UAN Administration Office to have your keycard reprogrammed prior to the Thursday of Finals Week. 

Graduating Seniors (Undergraduate Residents)

Residents who are participating in graduation ceremonies may stay over on the Friday and Saturday of Finals Week by paying a nightly rate. The nightly rate is determined annually. Please check with Housing Services or with your Resident Services Coordinator for the exact price. You must submit an extension request with proof of graduation at least two weeks prior to the schedule check-out date in order to request to extend your stay.

Graduating seniors must move out by 8 a.m. on the approved Saturday or Sunday after graduation. The extended stay by a graduating senior may result in full responsibility for damage and cleaning charges if they stay is more than three days after other vacating roommate(s). You must come to the UAN Administration Office to have your keycard reprogrammed prior to the Thursday of Finals Week.

Extended Move-Outs

If you have transportation problems or other special circumstances and you need to extend your stay, you may appeal to stay in the apartment until 8 a.m. on Saturday, June 16, 2018 with prior approval. Contact the Resident Services Coordinator as soon as possible, but no later than the Spring Quarter late check-out request deadline to confirm these arrangements. There is a $48/day charge for an approved extended move out. Unapproved extensions resulting in a late check-out will be assessed a one-time $75 improper check-out fee and the daily rate plus $48 for each day the resident continues to possess the apartment.

The resident is required to return the apartment to its original condition, excluding normal wear and use. Please remember to take all of your belongings when you leave, as University Apartments is not responsible for any items left in the rooms after check-out. Failure to do so will result in additional charges. You must come to the UAN Administration Office to have your keycard reprogrammed prior to the Thursday of Finals Week.

Summer Contract Extensions for Weyburn Terrace

Requests to extend a Weyburn Terrace contract are reviewed by the Housing Services Office on a case-by-case basis and are subject to availability. Residents must submit their request through Ask Housing no later than two weeks prior to the contract end date.

Assessment Charges


When an apartment is fully painted, the life of the paint should last three years. Therefore, in the event you reside in the apartment for less than three years and the apartment needs painting due to damages (excessive marks, damage, and/or the smell of smoke); you will be assessed charges less depreciation for the repainting of the apartment. For example, if it costs $720 to paint a two-bedroom apartment and you resided in the apartment for two years, the painting calculations would be as follows:

  1. Cost of Painting = $720
  2. Life of the Paint = 3 years or $720/36 months = $20 per month
  3. Depreciation = Residents Residency or 24 months x $20 = $480
  4. Balance or line 1 minus line 3 = Amount owed by Resident = $240

A coat of primer is considered an additional full coat of paint with no depreciation.

In the event you reside in the apartment for three years or more, you will not be assessed any painting charges unless there are exceptional marks on the walls such as a marker-type drawing which requires special primer to cover these marks. Exceptional marks on the walls will incur additional costs for repainting. You will be charged to prime and repaint if your apartment is a different color than when you moved in.


When an apartment has its carpet replaced, the life of the replaced carpet should last seven years. Therefore, in the event you reside in the apartment for less than seven years and the carpet needs repair or replacement, you will be assessed charges less depreciation for the replacement of the carpet. For example, if it costs $1,800 to replace carpet in a two-bedroom apartment and you resided in the apart­ment for four years, the replacement calculations would be as follows: 

  1. Cost of Replacement = $1800
  2. Life of the Carpet = 7 years or $1800/84 months = $21.4285 per month
  3. Depreciation = Residents Residency or 48 months x $21.4285 = $1028.57
  4. Balance or line 1 minus line 3 = Amount owed by Resident = $771.43

In the event you reside in the apartment for one year or more, you will not be assessed any shampooing charges unless there are exceptional marks or spots on the carpet such as bleach stains, oil stains, or burn marks which require special dye to cover these marks or even carpet replacement. Exceptional marks or spots on the carpet will incur additional costs for dying or carpet replacement.

Hard Surface Flooring

When an apartment has faux wood flooring, the life of the flooring is 10 years. If faux wood flooring, vinyl, or any other hard surface flooring needs to be replaced due to fault of resident, the following are the costs that will be charged to the resident:

  • Studio = $1230
  • Studio/Loft = $1351
  • One bedroom/one bath = $1321
  • Two bedroom/one bath = $1587
  • Two bedroom/two bath = $1663
  • Three bedroom/two bath = $1969
  • Repairs to hard surface flooring will be billed at $37 per hour

Additional Charges

Other charges may be incurred such as removal of excess trash, lost parking permit/opener, lost keys, etc. See Damage and Miscellaneous Charges section.

Damages and Miscellaneous Charges

UA Facilities Management determines the extent of damages and whether the damages are the result of resident negligence. All charges to renovate the apart­ment once the resident(s) move out are indicated on the damage and cleaning form.

Many damage charges are based on vendor costs. The amount of the charge is based on material and labor costs (see the following list of charges). If you have occupied your apartment for more than one year, you will not be charged for normal carpet clean­ing. Any additional cleaning or carpet replacement constitutes excessive damage and charges will be assessed. UA Facilities Management determines the extent of damages and whether the damages are the result of resident negligence.

If you have occupied your apartment for three or more years, you may not be charged for painting that does not include any excessive damage (e.g., crayon marks, large holes, etc.). Any occupancy less than three years or any excessive marks or damage on the walls will result in charges for apartment painting. The resident will be responsible and charged accordingly for excessive marks on walls resulting in multiple coats of paint.

Carpet should last seven years. If the carpet needs to be replaced prior to seven years, the resident will be prorated its replacement costs accordingly (see example similar to painting charges).

Residents are responsible for any damages that are not recorded on the Apartment Inventory Form at time of move out. (See the following list of damage and other related charges.)

Damage, Cleaning, and Other Related Charges 
Bed frame replacementSingle Bed $144
Full Bed  $256
Bicycle improperly stored$25
Blind, damageVendor Cost  + $52/hr
Building, damageVendor Cost
Cabinets, strip and re-paint$52/hr + materials
Cable equipment$50
Cable/TV modem$500
Carpet Cleaning  $250 Minimum Trip Charge
Carpet, damage/replacement
  Studio & Loft
Carpet Repair 
average $40/sq yard
Check-out violation$75 + daily rate
Contract Cancellation Fee$300-$400
Cleaning Apartment
  Studio w/Loft
  Two-bedroom/Two-bath w/Loft
  Three-bedroom/Two-bath w/Loft
  Furnished apartments 
+Add $30 
Cleaning appliances$25/each
Cleaning toilet, tub, or sinks$25/each
Clogged drain$52/hr or
Vendor Cost 
Converter box (Hilgard only)$100

Daily rate for:
  Extended stay
  Improper late check-outs
  Late/Improper check-outs

  Approved early check-ins 

$75 + daily rate of $48/day
add $75


Door replacement$150 + $52/hr 
or cost of door and parts +$52/hr
Door repair$52/hr + materials
Equipment (damage to borrowed items)Cost of replacement
Failure to remove personal property
Storage of personal property 
$40 or $20/hr/employee
Furniture/Appliance removal$25/item
Furniture replacement charges
(all furnished units except Weyburn Terrace)
  Bed guard
  Coffee table
  Desk chair
  Desk lamp
  Dining chair
  Dining table
  End table
  File Cabinet
  Floor Lamp
  Living room lamp
  Love Seat
  Sofa chair
  Table Lamp
Furniture replacement charges
(Weyburn Terrace only)
  Sofa Chair
  Coffee table
  Desk chair
  Dining chairs
  Dining table
  End Table
  File cabinet
  Nesting Table
  Sliding closet door
  TV Stand
  Underbed drawer 
Garage door opener (lost or damaged)$75/each
Gate access card/laundry card$75/each
Hallways, damage toVendor Cost
Holes, patching$52/hr + material
Illegal possession of public area furnishings$30
Illegal use or storage of UA-provided furniture$30 
Keys and locks
  Key/lock change, door
  Key/lock change, mailbox
  Keys dropped between elevator doors M-F
  Keys dropped between elevator doors after hours
  Perimeter key 
  Keycard replacement/damage (negligence)
  Keycard reprogramming 
$45-$120 + $52/hr
$45 + $52/hr
$524 (4-hour minimum)
$25 each
$35 each
Light globe replacement$15/each + $52/hr
  Cover, single
  Cover, full
  Cover, queen
  Cover, installation
  Additional coats of paint 
$52/hr + materials 
Paneling removal$52/hr per person
Parking hangtag (excluding Weyburn Terrace)$50/each
Removal (Failure to remove) of personal property
Storage of personal property 
$20/hr per person
Screen, repair or replacement$15 to 45/each + $52/hr
Shuttle boarding pass (unexpired)$100
Sprinkler activation (negligence)Vendor Cost + any
associated costs to apts. 
Tampering with fire safety equipment
(misdemeanor subject to legal action) 
Vendor Cost + any
Associate costs to apts. 
Television replacement$400
Tile flooringVendor Cost
Trash removal$20/hr or Vendor Cost
Unauthorized room change$20
Vinyl Floors, repair or replacement
  Studio w/Loft
  One-bedroom/one bathroom
  Two-bedroom/one bathroom
  Two-bedroom/two bathroom
  Three-bedroom/two bathroom
 $59 per sq. yd. average
Wallpaper/Contact removal$52/hr per person
Windows, brokenVendor Cost

NOTE: any repair work not specified above is charged $52/hour. Replacements are subject to labor plus additional material/installation costs.

Back to Top