Nutrition Education Coordinator
As part of our commitment to helping student-residents make healthy choices, UCLA Dining Services offers the expertise of our Nutrition Education Coordinator, Dolores Hernandez. As a Registered Dietitian (RD), Dolores is available to:
- Answer your nutrition-related questions
- Provide tips on how you can make healthy choices at our restaurants
- Address your dietary concerns or special needs
- Provide information on Dining Services and other nutrition-related resources.
For questions regarding special dietary issues such as food allergies, vegetarian/veganism, general nutrition, or any of the programs or initiatives listed below, please don't hesitate to contact Dolores.
Dolores Hernandez, M.A., RD
Telephone: (310) 206-3193
Office: Sproul Hall, Suite 173D
Dining Services Nutrition Initiatives
UCLA Dining Services is pleased to offer the Gluten-Free Pantry to students with Celiac Disease, wheat allergy, and gluten intolerance.
The Gluten-Free Pantry is located at Bruin Plate, the residential restaurant in Carnesale Commons. The Gluten-Free Pantry is a separate, keycard-accessed room with a toaster, microwave, refrigerator, and freezer. A wide variety of gluten-free items are available to eligible students.
To Gain Access to the Gluten-Free Pantry, Students Need to Register:
Step 1: Register with the Disabled Students Housing Appeals Board (DSHAB), which is administered through the Center for Accessible Education. .
Step 2: Have your medical provider complete the Assessment Form for Gluten Intolerance, Celiac Disease, and Wheat Allergy (provided by DSHAB).
Step 3: Return completed Assessment Form via mail, email (scan), or fax to:
Ed McCloskey, Chair DSHB
A255 Murphy Hall
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1426
Fax: (310) 825-9656
Step 4: Once this form has been submitted and approved by DSHAB, you will be notified of your acceptance and granted access to the Gluten-Free Pantry.
Please contact Dolores Hernandez if you have questions or need more information about this program at email@example.com or (310)206-3193.
Offering gluten-free options is a trend in colleges and universities across the country. UCLA’s Gluten-Free Pantry was highlighted in a recent Wall Street Journal article, "Gluten Danger Puts Schools to the Test."
The Student Nutrition Awareness Campaign (SNAC)
The Student Nutrition Awareness Campaign (SNAC), a service of the Bruin Resource Center, has a wealth of information available online, including shopping strategies and “Cooking for College Students” tip sheets. SNAC also provides information about weight management, body image, fitness, and supplements via informational table tents on all dining tables in the residential restaurants.
Nutrition Information Resources & Links
- The Ashe Center (www.studenthealth.ucla.edu)
- Counseling and Psychological Center (CAPS) (www.counseling.ucla.edu)
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- American Heart Association
- Body Positive
- Celiac Disease & Gluten-free Diet
- The Center for Science in the Public Interest
- Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute
- National Eating Disorders Association
- Nutrition Data
- The Physician and Sports Medicine Online
- Vegetarian Resource Group
UCLA Dining Services
Sproul Hall | 360 De Neve Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1367